Re: TECH: QUERY on ZI & ZEhA

la xorxes. cusku di'e

> lojbab says:
> >
> > I would say, for example, that ze'eco'i is a good tense for the Big Bang
> > - the initiation of the all-time interval.
>
> I guess you meant ze'eco'a, but I'm confused anyway. Is there any
> difference between "ze'eco'a" and "co'aze'e"? Wouldn't "ze'eco'a" mean that
> the event is begining during the all-time interval? I would have said "co'a
> ze'e" for the Big Bang, as in "le co'a ze'e munje".

I agree with Jorge.  Iterated intervals, although I explained them in a posting
last week, remain one of the most obscure features of the tense grammar.

> And ze'eco'i would consider all-time as a point, or rather, the event as a
> point taking place in all-time? so maybe could serve for things like
> "ze'eco'i jevni" or something like that. Again, what's the difference
> with "co'i ze'e"?

I think you call it correctly above.  "co'i ze'e" means that the achievative
(co'i) is itself an interval taking up all of time (ze'e), whereas "ze'e co'i"
would mean the whole of time is a point event.  Perhaps these are in fact
the same when dealing with the whole universe.

> > I guess ve'eco'i = ve'eco'u are the bounds of the universe.
> >

> I don't remember whether the restaurant was also at the end of space,
> but it certainly was at the end of time. Don't you need a fe'e to convert
> the ZAhOs to space use, or is the presence of a space tense enough?

Yes, you do need a "fe'e".  In earlier versions of the grammar, "fe'e" could
be omitted when a space interval preceded, but that rule got removed because
it made trouble of some sort.

--
John Cowan      cowan@snark.thyrsus.com         ...!uunet!lock60!snark!cowan
                        e'osai ko sarji la lojban.