Re: TECH: SE rafsi omitted in lujvo (was Re: dikyjvo, too,

The Seraphim surely rejoiced when Logical Language Group spoke thus:

#I'm not sure I see the difference between your two cases of omission of
#"se".  I am sure that in some cases there is indeed an error being made,
#but I am also sure that in some there is an intentional abbrviation.

As I said, the first case (in which the seltanru, the modifier, lacks a
SE), is a tolerable abbreviation; admitting a missing SE in the tertanru
(head), like in xekskapi instead of xekselskapi, is more trouble than it's
worth; the base *tanru* is wrong, and it seems much harder to justify having
the place structure of xekskapi be the same as that of xekselskapi; lujvo
making is such that the place structure of se xekskapi can't be the same
as that of xekselskapi (most pertinently, the place "le skapi" has to
remain in the former).

#Indeed, I would say that the usefulness of the resulting place structure
#might be a factor in deciding whether to permit a final position
#abbreviation, since in many cases you'd ned up with the same place structure
#but a different order, if you took the 'abbrevaiation' literally.

That's more or less what I've done; a form like xavymla has little usefulness
when taken literally; I think you'd end up with a different interpretation
in 'literal' interpretation most of the time, anyway.

#In other words, keep a list of these that you want to change - we'll probably
#go along with you, but I think the examples should be looked at by more people
#if only for educational value.

At the least, I'll expand my examples on this topic in the paper.

 A freshman once observed to me:         Nick Nicholas am I, of Melbourne, Oz.
 On the edge of the Rubicon,             nsn@munagin.ee.mu.oz.au (IRC: nicxjo)
 men don't go fishing.                   CogSci and CompSci & wannabe Linguist.
   - Alice Goodman, _Nixon In China_     Mail me! Mail me! Mail me! Or don't!!