Re: soc.culture.scientists posting

Lojbab asks:
++++>
 It occurs to me that there has been little discussion of
how we want to test the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis using Lojban in recent
years.  Is there any interest in discussing this on this forum at this
time?
>++++

I have never believed in the possibility of testing Sapir-Whorf experimentally,
and have little interest in attempts to do so.
I observe that discussions of Sapir-Whorf are usually fairly hand-waving about
what the hypothesis at issue actually is. To me a weak form of the hypothesis
(language and culture are crucially interdependent) seems obvious, and a
strong form (language completely conditions the culture or vice versa)
appears unlikely, untestable, and probably unmeaningful.

        Colin