Re: TECH: Bytes and bits

Nick says:
+++++++++++>
What I've just described, though, isn't really a byte; more like a word.
What of a byte? Well the Esperantists have accepted 'bajto', but alongside
it, as a kind of protest, they also have 'bitoko': eight-bit. Given my
distaste for PA-lujvo misused, could we admit bivjetka'u as a properly
used lujvo (or at least, an obvious abbreviation of jetka'ubivmoi)?
In communications contexts (and particularly in the ISO Reference Model for
data comms) the word 'octet' is preferred to 'byte'.

Just thought you'd like to know ....

        Colin