Re: TEXT: xislu mu'ucutci (roller skating)

Nick Nicholas says

> I suggest xilcutci (wheel-shoe) for roller-skate, and xilcucli'u (wheel-
> shoe-travel) for rollerskating; I'm not sure what you mean by in-line; if
> you follow others, then porsi xilcucli'u, I suppose.
In-line skates aree commonly referred to by the trademarked name "RollerBlade"
They are more like ice skates than roller skates. Which brings me to why I
used 'moving-boot' for skate -  because I also ice skate and the similarity
between the two led me to think there should be a single skate word which could
be modified by xislu or (perhaps) sakli. Clearly though 'skating' is the same
activity whether I am doing it on the street or in a rink.

> .i mi klama la le cecla girzu ku panka .a la zebimoi klaji fo zo'e poi cenba
> I go to the (The projectile group) park or the 78th street via something
> which varies.
By .a I actually meant what would be in  english and/or.

> #.ije lo zarci be la xaze klaji .e la ci klaji cu vecnu le lante be sodva
> #   le muno fepni
> #Additionally, a store at 67th St and 3rd Ave (I omit the difference here
> #between streets and avenues (within NYC the difference is that streets
> #run east/west & avenues run north/south) - 67 is too high to be an avenue
> #anyway) sells cans of soda for 50 cents.
>
> I wish the gi'uste was more sensitive to non-USA: it took me two years to
> realise that zarci corresponds to what I call a shop! {be} fills in an
> argument of {zarci}, so you've actually said: a shop selling 64th streets
> and 3rd streets. Also (typical Lojban pedantry) the shop isn't who is
> doing the selling, but where the selling takes place.

According to my gismu list zarci is as "... market at ... operated by ...
selling ..."
I also did not get market (since to me it means what the farmers set up
in the lot at 14th St). A supermarket is a "store" despite its specific
name. I did remember the ckafybarja dicsussion, so I grabbed the penultimate
:) JL and looked at  the distinction between shop, house, and bar.

> (Btw, if you don't yet have the BNF grammar, get it. You'll find it extremely
> helpful.)

I do have the BNF grammar, and despite the fact that I've written parsers
myself I find this quite incomprehensible. I find that reading it, running
examples through it, so on, does very little for my understanding of the
grammar. Has anyone  else noticed that?

--
.i la pi'e seisni cu datnyvau dei       .i zoi by. verve by. mo
.i le rab. braedig. cmene mi mi         .i zoi samymri. rpb@panix.com samymri.