Re: ZAhO tenses

> Date:          Wed, 4 Aug 1993 12:20:59 EDT
> From:          Jorge LLambias <jorge%PHYAST.PITT.EDU@FINHUTC.hut.fi>
> Subject:       Re: ZAhO tenses

> Veijo's examples:
> >
> >      mi pu'o broda     =   mi purci le nu mi broda
>         mi pu broda     =    mi balvi le nu mi broda

          mi pu broda     =  le nu mi broda cu purci le cabna
         (le nu mi broda cu purci le nu mi cusku lu mi pu broda li'u)

> >      mi ba'o broda     =   mi balvi le nu mi broda
>         mi ba broda     =    mi purci le nu mi broda

          mi ba broda     =  le nu mi broda cu balvi le cabna

 (The equalities are not strict)

  "da pu/ba broda" actually makes no claim about da's temporal
  relationship with the process of brodaing. It only states
  that da has been/will be brodaing - da's brodaing may be going
  on all the time.

  "da pu'o/ba'o broda" defines da's temporal relationship with
  "le nu da broda" at some unspecified time. Both da and the
  event/process may be in the past, present or future from the
  narrator's viewpoint.

  "da pu broda" and "da pu'o broda"  refer to quite different
  things. "da pu broda" refers to da brodaing at a specific
  time relative to the narrator's time. "da pu'o broda" refers
  to da BEING at a specific stretch of time relative to da's
  (actual/potential) brodaing. In both cases, however, pu and
  pu'o set the referent ("da broda" in the case of pu and "da"
  in the case of pu'o) on the SAME side of the reference point
  ("the narrator's time" in the case of pu and "le nu da broda"
  in the case of pu'o). The same goes for ba/ba'o, of course.
  No contradiction what so ever - as far as I can see.

> Jorge

     Veijo

 Veijo Vilva       vilva@viikki21.helsinki.fi