Re: TECH: SE rafsi omitted in lujvo (was Re: dikyjvo, too,

The Seraphim surely rejoiced when Mr Andrew Rosta spoke thus:
#Nick says:
#> Thus le'avla must have the same place structure as
#> selyle'avla, if they are indeed the same word, rather than le'avla meaning
#> something else, eg. the word you say in order to borrow a cup of sugar.
#But "se lehavla" and "se selylehavla" mean the same, right? And if one
#wanted to lujvoize these, the lujvo would have to be "selselylehavla"?
#(Tho I prefer fukpi zei valsi anyway.)

Nice! Strictly speaking yes, though there is an escape hatch: a se le'avla
(which is a se valsi, the le'avla meaning) is a selkemle'avla, and a se
selyle'avla a selkemselyle'avla/selselyle'avla. This is fortunate, because
the user may not realise (or agree) that le'avla is 'really' "short" for
selyle'avla.

 A freshman once observed to me:         Nick Nicholas am I, of Melbourne, Oz.
 On the edge of the Rubicon,             nsn@munagin.ee.mu.oz.au (IRC: nicxjo)
 men don't go fishing.                   CogSci and CompSci & wannabe Linguist.
   - Alice Goodman, _Nixon In China_     Mail me! Mail me! Mail me! Or don't!!