Re: TECH: se, te, & lujvo

And responds to Bob's answer to And's question about my usage:

> > le se jerna need not be identical semantically to le seljerna, but it will
> > probably be close and nearly always interchangeable.  I would presume that
> > if one wanted to be specific that it was money that was earned, you could
> > add jdini (money) or pegji (pay) to the compound, but given the stylistic
> > bent people have these days for omitting such info where it is obvious
> > from context, I can see why people would not.  Therefore it is safe to say
> > that at this point it is not yet clear whether seljerna is limited only to
> > monetary wages, but that Colin probably does not want the value to be as
> > broadly construed as "se jerna" might allow.
> >
> > In this case, I tend to rely on my English instincts: if what I am
 translating
> > is a single word in English, I am more likely to use a seljerna lujvo,
 whereas
> > if it takes a phrase to say it in English, and the Lojban isn't exactly a
> > paragon of trailblazing eloquence, I am more likely to leave the se
 separate.

> My point, then, is that either
>
> (i) seljerna should be stipulated as synonymous with se jerna (unlike
> lujvo formed from tanru)
>
> or
>
> (ii) there ought to be a way of coining a lujvo whose x1 is an idiomatic
> variant of the x1 of the source gismu (if seljerna has an x1 that is
> an idiomatic variant of the x2 of the source gismu).
>
> -----
> And.

I do not know what my internal heuristic is for deciding whether to use
"se jerna" or "seljerna" forms. I take your point that the lujvo is not
in fact formed from a tanru, and therefore the question of which meaning
of a tanru the lujvo is to have, does not arise. I use the two forms in
fairly free variation, but I believe that a lujvo of this form may have
different places from the uncontracted form, and is therefore by definition
not synonymous.

For your question, how about jerco'e ("earning-kind-of-unspecified-thing' as
a tanru - or co'erjerna)?

                Colin