Re: TECH: se, te, & lujvo

le se jerna need not be identical semantically to le seljerna, but it will
probably be close and nearly always interchangeable.  I would presume that
if one wanted to be specific that it was money that was earned, you could
add jdini (money) or pegji (pay) to the compound, but given the stylistic
bent people have these days for omitting such info where it is obvious
from context, I can see why people would not.  Therefore it is safe to say
that at this point it is not yet clear whether seljerna is limited only to
monetary wages, but that Colin probably does not want the value to be as
broadly construed as "se jerna" might allow.

In this case, I tend to rely on my English instincts: if what I am translating
is a single word in English, I am more likely to use a seljerna lujvo, whereas
if it takes a phrase to say it in English, and the Lojban isn't exactly a
paragon of trailblazing eloquence, I am more likely to leave the se separate.

lojbab