Re: Distribution problem

la kolin. cusku di'e

> 1) As Iain spotted, I got seltanru and tertanru the wrong way round.

The next release of the gismu list will (hopefully) make the distinction
clear.  The list is currently not precise on which is which; the intention
is that the seltanru comes first (is the modifier) and the tertanru comes
second (is the modificand).

> 2) The point about selgadri, though correct, is irrelevant. The reason you
> cannot expand a connection inside a selgadri to connected sumti is nothing
> to do with jeks: it applies just as much with giheks:
>
>         lo nixli gi'a nanla cu broda            (1)

This sentence is not good Lojban.  Lojban does not allow giheks (external
connections) within description selbri.  In fact, giheks don't connect
selbri at all -- they connect whole bridi-tails.

> 3) My formal semantic account of kazytanru is slightly flawed, because it
> is clear to me that the semantic domain of a tanru is not strictly a
> restriction of that of the tertanru (got it right this time!)
>
> Thus I am clear that
>         labno prenu
> is a reasonable tanru for 'werwolf' (also prenu labno), even though I deny
> that
>         lo labno prenu cu prenu

Why?  You think werewolves don't have personality?  Remember prenu != remna.

> I think there may well be a case for explicitly distributive jeks - as
> somebody (Iain?) said, a sort of abbreviation
>
>         cmalu ckule gi'e melbi ckule
>

> (This is one interpretation of "cmalu je melbi ckule").  However, I'm
> dubious, because again, the semantics of the kazytanru in the two cases
> need not be the same).

Rightly or wrongly, JCB invented jeks (known to him as sheks) for this
very purpose.  If we are to overthrow his interpretation, we need to
be aware what we are doing and why.

>  (NB everybody - the last ["labno joi prenu"] is not a tanru! Word
> encompassing them all please?),

I think "tanru" can handle them all.  One can specify various types of
tanru.

--
John Cowan      cowan@snark.thyrsus.com         ...!uunet!cbmvax!snark!cowan
                        e'osai ko sarji la lojban.