Digits and Mnemonics

>>> NEW SUBSCRIBER ALERT <<<

     I've been following this list for only about a week, and haven't had
the chance to download any info-files, but one thing strikes me as important
in your discussion of digit-strings and the ease of remembering them.  This
may sound stupid initially, but consider...

     If the word for each digit begins with a different consonant, then any
long string of digits may be remembered by 'filling in' those consonants to
make a word or phrase in one's native language (whether or not it's lojban).

     I got this idea from _The_Memory_Book_ by Harry Lorayne and Jerry
Lucas. Their system goes something like this:

1 == t or d     6 == j, sh, ch, or soft g
2 == n          7 == k, hard c, or hard g
3 == m          8 == f, v, or ph
4 == r          9 == p or b
5 == l          0 == z, s, or soft c

So 5390 might be "lamps" or "limps" or "lumps", 4952 might be "airplane",
and 9751 might be "buckled"...  longer numbers being represented by phrases
such as "A Beautiful Naked Blond Jumps Up and Down" == 91852719521639092112
(their example, not mine).  <blush>   With practice, this can be done almost
as quickly as a digit-string can be spoken.

     Is this possible with the digits of lojban?  What *are* the digits?

    Rick Miller, an Engineer and a Christian.        discus!rick@uwm.edu