Re: Lojban Phonology

LEVY%LENNY@EDU.YALE.YCC.VENUS wrote about a month ago:

> Why is it that Lojban has so many consonant clusters?  The general form
> of polysyllablic words (especially selbri) seems to be CVCCV.  This is
> especially surprising to me, since (1) There have been repeated references
> to Lojban as a "vowel-rich" language, (2) There was some mention of the
> language moving toward syllable timing, which would be unusual in a language
> with so many syllable-final consonants (syllable-timed languages tend to
> favor open syllables), and (3) If one wants to use Lojban for spoken
> communication with computers (one of my main interests), having syllable-
> final consonants only makes things difficult.

As I have pointed out before, without incurring dissent or contradiction
from the gurus, Lojban is in fact a CV language.

According to the current phonological analysis of Lojban, it is permissible
to insert The Buffer Vowel into the phonological string, as long as it is
not inserted such that it is adjacent to a vowel (/i e a o u y/). (I would
count /./ as a consonant - realization = glottal stop.)

Another way of looking at this is to say that Buffer Vowel slots are
already present on the skeletal tier. These slots may be left empty or
filled with the buffer vowel. So, _mlatu_, for instance, looks like this:

     C V C V C V
     |   | | | |
     m   l a t u

The empty V can be filled with the buffer vowel or left empty.

Consequently, Lojban has a syllable structure no more complex than the
simplest syllable structure attested in natural language (i.e. no language
lacks CV syllables, but some languages have nothing but CV syllables).

Lojban is to be commended for the simplicity of its syllable structure,
but not, alas, for the phonology of its buffer vowel. The buffer vowel
is defined as "any vowel that isn't /a e i o u y/ in the accent of the
speaker". Therefore, your buffer vowel may be located in the vowel space
I assign to a e i o u or y. John Cowan, for example, uses [I] for his
buffer vowel, which would fall into my /i/ space. So if he said
[mIlatu] I'd hear /milatu/.