re: name formation (was: re dreaded only)

Mark explains about name formation and in closing says,

>  So "la mlatu" is fine, since we don't have the
> restrictions there.

A note to writers of tutorials and the like: the impression
that all intro material leaves is that "la <cmene>" is a
name, and a key morphological point about <cmene> is that
they end in a consonant and a pause.

The latter got tied up in my mind with "la"; that is, I had the
lingering impression that "la" is on opening delimiter for which
the matching close-delimiter is <consonant><pause>.  Under this
interpretation, "la mlatu" would not be fine at all.

So when explaining to the novice how to name things, try to keep
the idea of "la" == "that which I call" separate from the idea
of the formation of a nominal in Lojban phonemes.

.i ni'o ni'o  -- could Mark and others please take pains to
attach signature lines to their mailings?  The lojban mail
server does not retain the originator's return address.  The only
"from:" line that I see is (for instance) cuvmb.cc.columbia.edu!shoulson.
Attempts to send private replies get bounced from that node.

Dave Cortesi -- cortesi@informix.com