Re: The thing who's name literly means ...

la meijr. cusku di'e

> Is there a short form for the expression "The thing who's name
> litterly means ...". I suspect that is something I would use quite
> regularly. For example, to me
>
>         sticisralo
>
> refers to the culture/nationality etc of western part of the
> Australian continent not of the political entity called (in English)
> Western Australia. I could say
>
>         la wastrn.astralis
>
> or something similar, but that would in no way help a non-speaker of
> English.

"la" can precede a predicate as well as a (morphological) name.  So

        la stici sralo

would be:

        that-which-is-named-the western-type-of Australian-thing

Such a name may be quite arbitrary:  Western Australia
is, in fact, in the western part of Australia, but notoriously

        la censa ke latmo jecta
        that-which-is-named-the holy-type-of (Roman-type-of polity)

refers to something that was neither holy, Roman, nor an empire.

Another example might be:

        la ci cribe

which means

        that-which-is-called "Three Bears"

and need not consist of bears, nor be numbered three.  It might, for example,
be the name of a restaurant.  This is distinct from

        le ci cribe

which is some group of three things I call bears, and also from

        ci cribe

which refers to three things that really are bears.

The first lujvo I ever invented was of this form:

        la kirmoi

(Translation left as an exercise.)

---

General query to sralo lobypli:  the draft textbook lessons use

        la .austrail,ias.

as the name of your country.  How do you feel about this form?  Is it too
Strine for international consumption?

--
cowan@snark.thyrsus.com         ...!uunet!cbmvax!snark!cowan
                e'osai ko sarji la lojban