place structure of lujvo

>  From: David Cortesi <NET.UU.UUNET!infmx!godzilla!cortesi>
>
>  There's a recognized phenomenon in early language acquisition
>  called "overgeneralizing," when a child first figures out a rule
>  and then overapplies it.  <...>
>
>  Sometimes I feel like that child w.r.t. Lojban.

You shouldn't.  There is no sich thing as overgeneralisation in Lojban.

>  Nick (in story):  le maxri lei manti se sudri'a
>
>  Me: I read this as "the wheat the ants dryly caused"

Yes, this is a justified interpretation, but there are others.  Recall
that tanru are Lojban's only source of ambiguity.

>  Nick: The x1 of sudga becomes the x2 of sudri'a

Yes, the "x1" of {sudga} is the "x2" of {rinka} and of {sudri'a}.

>  Me: You are saying that for gismu G and H, the argument pattern of a
>          lujvo GH is:  h1 GH g1... ?

No.  The argument pattern of GH is "h1 GH h2 h3 h4 h5".  It just
happens that the "x2" of H is also "x1" of G.

>  Nick: Actually, I was going with h1 g1 g2 ... h2 ...

Wrong.  In this case, it is "h1 GH (h2=g1)".

co'omi'e .iVAN.