Re: Welsh?

Bruce Gilson writes:
> And Rosta <ucleaar%UCL.AC.UK@pucc.PRINCETON.EDU> writes:
> >(2) I can't quite fathom the selection criteria for cultural gismu. Most
> of them seem to be places where the languages Lojban derived its gismu
> >from are spoken. Is this right? What happens to the rest? I can't help
> >feeling that there's a certain kudos to being a gismu rather than a
> >le'avla! My first impulse on reading the gismu list was to speak up
> >for:
> >       camri   Welsh
> >       madja   Hungarian
> >       skera   Basque
> Why "camri"? The Welsh "c" of "Cymru" is not a Lojban "c" (pronounced like
> English "sh") bit a Lojban "k."
A slip. It should have been _kamri_, but there is a 'phonesthemic' tendency
for such words to end in _-o_, so I should have suggested _kamro_, _madjo_
and _skero_. But anyway, after writing the message Bruce quotes, I read
Lojbab & John Cowan's explanation of cultural gismu in Ju'i Lobypli. Clearly
the gismu seem basic only because (a) they have rafsi & (b) they're the
only baselined brivla so far.
-------
And