pulling rank

Lojbab has no 'real' rank on anyone.  Things are decided by consensus.
MY only privelege as President (and that is granted by the Board of Directors)
is to choose the group of people to decide the consensus.  On most issues
this currently includes most or all of John Cowan, myself, Nora, Nick Nicholas,
and Athelstan and John Parks-Clifford.  If it is a minor issue and I start
asking people and they say 'that's fine' then I seldom bother asking everyone.
If there is a hint of indecision, I ask as many as possible.  If we don;t know
enough, I post to all of you on the list, or print it in JL.  There are other
experienced Lojbanists, including Mark, now, who would be considered in anything
even moderately controversial.  My goal is to include everyone who has a
suitable skill level to contribute a meaningful vote in any decision.

Now this gets traded off against reality, sometimes.  Choices of keywords
for the cmavo list, wording of definitions, etc. are going to be published
with only my complete review, and spot checking by Nora and John Cowan.
But anythionmg considered for a baseline decision will have at least 3-6
months of public airing before final approval, so even in those cases, every
LLG subscriber who gets the appropriate materials will have a chance to thriw
their two cents in.

My vote counts no more than anyone else's, though I will admit that many
people will tend to defer to me if I feel strongly.  But this is not my
'right' or 'rank'.

As for inventing new lujvo compounds, raising style questions, all the things
that Bruce feels unable to do in the case of Intal:  I feel that every
Lojbanist has this right, and will fight to see it stays this way.  You may
do it less then optimally, but that will be decided by the people who read
what you write or hear what you say.

lojbab