Miscellanea

A few miscellaneous points here:

>Date:         Mon, 30 Sep 1991 09:48:27 -0700
>From: jimc%MATH.UCLA.EDU@pucc.PRINCETON.EDU
>Subject:      Re: response #1 to Jim Carter

>Are you sure?  I had a dialog with John Cowan where the rule came out
>like this:  when a modal operator BAI is derived from a gismu BRODA,
>the meaning is (at least similar to) that the tagged sumti or _first_
>connected sentence is considered to be in x1 of BRODA (after
>conversion), and the main phrase or _second_ connected sentence is in
>x2.

You know, I was waiting for jimc to come up with dikni cmavo. I formulated the
above rule in May, but abandoned it because it doesn't work with most BAI.
For example, {bau}. {mi sanga bau la lojban} is not: {la lojban cu bangu lenu
mi sanga}, because that's not the interpretation of the x2 of {bangu}. It's
more like {la lojban cu bangu srana lenu mi sanga}, and if you want more
specificity, {la lojban cu bangu je velsku lenu mi sanga}. And {bau} is only
the mildest of such interpretables. No, let's keep BAI nice and vague for now.

>Date:         Mon, 30 Sep 1991 22:59:38 -0400
>From: Logical Language Group <lojbab%GREBYN.COM@pucc.PRINCETON.EDU>
>Subject:      response to jimc on my response#2 (lujvo-making)

Are we *still* talking on this subject? The both of you should try making more
lujvo in the dikyjvo style, and see where it gets you. I've found it to be
very often helpful, but seldom decisive. It at least allows a start. But things
like whether you elide a place or not - that's a dictionary issue. Still, I
can't tell you how comforting a dikni -{ri'a} compound can be. Though there is
a catch:

zmari'a: x1 causes that x2 is more than x3 by std x4 by amt x5. Pushdown the
places of zmadu. Cf. English: (x1) increases (x2).
basri'a: x1 causes that x2 replaces x3. Again pushdown.

basri'a is a translation of (animate agent) replaces (something1) by (some-
thing2). But something1 corresponds to x3 above, and something2 to x2. The
places come out jumbled. This is because (and this is more obvious in Esp),
when we put a transitive verb into a factitive (eat - feed; replace - replace
by) we often make the direct object of the original verb the direct object of
the new verb (the transformation away from the English dative, as in to feed
X Y, can conceal this). But there are no transitives in lojban; and a uniform
interpretation of such compounds is not logical perversion, it is internal
consistency. Why should we have one rule for zmadu and another for basti? If
things get too hairy, use sel- -ri'a: selbasri'a: x1 causes that x2 be replaced
by x3.

-ri'a is becoming a monomania of mine, but then, the ambiguity between the
two such interpretations of the corresponding -ig in Esp (does mangxigi mean
to make someone eat or be eaten?) make me wish for Lojban to do better.

That said, one shouldn't police tanru too much, though a more dikni tanru
(i.e. think of {je} between the component words, if possible) is polite.
Man with his hands in his pockets: daski nenri se xance - suggests primarily
(someone with hands) inside a pocket. seke daski nenri xance, someone with
(pocket inside hands), is nicer.

But when the crunch comes to the bite (or whatever), you can't be dikni all
the time.