Hebrew guitars

Mark Shoulson writes:
>BTW, on some old news.  In my Psalm 137 translation, I used a le'avla,
>something like "zgitcirkinora" to indicate a kind of musical instrument.
>On further perusal of the gismu list, I see that I don't even need a lujvo
>le'avla, since a kinor is a stringed intrument (whether lyre or harp or
>even violin), and thus falls into the gismu "jgita"=guitar, yielding
>"gitkinora" or something.

It would be "gitrkinora" as a le'avla - it is wise to glue the rafsi on
the front with a vocalic consonant to avoid 'slinkui' problems and that
is a basic 'rule' of the current approach, if not mandatory (I actually
think your word is a valid le'avla, but need to check much harder if not
following the 'rule'.

Of course, my obvious reply is to work within the language, using
le'avla only if you need to:  brojgita seems a more than adequate lujvo
given you definition, and one or two extra terms in the lujvo would
narrow it down if it were vital to specify what kind of stringed
instrument it is. this is why we put a few archetypal instruments in the
gismu list - to make it easier to avoid making le'avla, which are
strictly second-class words in the language when you've got a choice.

lojbab@grebyn.com