Response to S. Mesnick:

Subject: Re: the DWIM attitudinal

cbmvax!uunet!alfalfa.com!pro-angmar!steffan (Steven Mesnick) writes:
>Hmmm.  Good point; I understand.  But if these are not used, I imagine
>it is assumed that one is "speaking literally", yes?  So the answer to
>"Do you have the time?" is *still* "Yes" or "No".  How does one say "the
>entire following discourse is colloquial, with significant potential for
>figurative expression, unless I tell you otherwise" ( which is equal to
>"this is a human being speaking, not a computer", I'd venture to say B^]).

The start figurative at start of discussion followed by "tu'e" (very
long scope) with no end markers would fairly unambiguously say "DWIM"
for the entire discussion.  No one uses this, of course, and I think
you overestimate the need/desire for figurative expression, ESPECIALLY in
a new language when there is good reason to believe that others will
not understand loose usage (and believe me, people here have real trouble
understanding too figurative usage)

lojbab