Language Evolution

Dear netters,

Knowing three languages, I wonder why the languages
have kept static for so many years, centuries regarding to
grammar stuctures and communication. Languages have
suffered dramatic changes in phonetics and pronunciation,
however their structures are falling behind the communication
needs of this era. In fact, I don't recall what is the field
of linguistics which should deal with this issue? Is there
anybody of you working is this field? If so, can you post
some information on what has been done regarding this matter?

I understand that changing the structures of any language
is rather difficult. But my view is pointing out more to the
relationship between language-structures and communication.
Maybe, at the moment there is not an urgent need for changes,
nevertheless heading for the 21th century the gap is going to
grow larger and larger. The new and effective ways of communication
are letting behind the static nature of the language (any language).
 Communication is getting and reaching faster than ever, so I don't
see how languages can keep up with it, without suffering major reforms.

In fact, I realize the only things that have evolved over the
centuries are the pronunciation and the vocabulary. Grammar,
syntax, orthography remain practically unchanched. The bottom
line is that those changes were made to compensate the
statics of the structures, to communicate more effectively.

Here is my point: what if the language were less complex leading us to
understand ourselves in a much faster and efficient way...

* Juan M. Parra                     *
* Universite Laval                  *
* Electrical Engineering Dept.      *
* Address                           * tel:  (418) 688-7922           *
* Juan M. Parra                     * fax:  (418) 656-3159           *
* C.P. 9976 succ. Ste-Foy           *                                *
* Ste-Foy, Quebec                   * e-mail: juparra@gel.ulaval.ca  *
* Canada  G1V 4C5                   *         j.parra@ieee.org       *