Re: bits and binits

la djef. proferos. cusku di'e

> Please note that the information-theoretic concept of a 'bit' is
> quite unrelated to the computer science concept of a 'bit'.  Last
> time I took a class which needed to discuss both, we used 'binit'
> for 'binary digit' and 'bit' for the information-theoretic term.
> (If it had been a CSci class, maybe CSci would have gotten 'bit' *grin*.)

Without presuming to dispute your metaphysics, it seems to me that your
distinction between "bits" and "binits" could equally well be mapped into
a distinction between information and data, both measurable in bits.

--
John Cowan      cowan@snark.thyrsus.com         ...!uunet!lock60!snark!cowan
                        e'osai ko sarji la lojban.