Re: a little aside: lojban dictionary?

On Wed, 25 Nov 1992, Paul Fly wrote:

> Has there been talk of ever trying to make a lojban dictionary in lojban?
> I told a friend about lojban once and this was their first question.  Given
> that good definitions should not use synonyms or metaphors, or define by
> negative terms of something else, I find it hard to see how the gismu could
> be defined in lojban.  Has this been discussed before?  Is it relevent at
> all?
>
> Just wonderin'
> Paul

I have had sporadic goes at this. I agree that it is an extremely
worthwhile project, for all sorts of reasons - not just having it, but
also the exercise of using Lojban for this purpose, explicit statement of
the relationships between different brivla aetc.  However, it is an
absolutely enormous project, and not one that we should delay anything for.

(To be more precise, I started a Loglan dictionary in Loglan many years
ago, and more recently, (this year) started a dictionary of Lojban cmavo
in Lojban. In each case I only got as far as a few words.)

                Colin