Phone game: Gleem

>  Date:        Sat, 30 May 1992 18:12:55 +1000
>  From: Major <major@AU.COM.PYRAMID.PTA>
>
>  Ivan A Derzhanski <iad@cogsci.edinburgh.ac.uk> writes:
>
>  > I've never thought
>  > of ".9" as being in any way different from "1/9".
>
>  Ignoring the typo and assuming you mean "9/10" not "1/9":

Yes, sorry about that.  I meant that ".9" was in no way different from "9/10".

>  Do you also see "1/3" as equal to .3 or is it .33 or .3333 etc ?

It is not equal to any of them, but it is certainly equal to .(3)
(threes all the way down).

[Colin:]
>  > >  As I said in
>  > >  an earlier mail, all measurements (and hence all numbers used as
>  > >  quantifiers) have an express or implied accuracy.

[Ivan:]
>  > Not unless John's mex paper says so, and I think it doesn't.
>
>  Kolin was talking about the numbers, not their lojban representation.

Yes, and since the numbers as such are equal, the accuracy attached to
them has to be equal as well.

>  John's paper has no effect on the numbers any more than the gismu list
>  changes the color space by defining (or failing to define) color words.

By defining or failing to define colour words, the gismu list
determines the way the continuous colour space is divided into
individual colours, and hence the range of colour values (wave
lengths) covered by each of these words.

Ivan