Buffer vowel and "y"

>Date:         Thu, 30 Jan 1992 17:56:44 TZONE
>From: David Cortesi <cortesi%INFORMIX.COM@cuvmb.cc.columbia.edu>

>For the sake of us linguistic weenies, could somebody cite some
>common English (or French maybe) words that demonstrate this sound?
>(It isn't French "deux" or German Goe"te is it?)

No, it's the sound in French "tu" or "vu" (as in "dej'a vu").  I haven't
found it to exist in American English, except in borrowings (I think it (or
a sound much like it) is used in South African English).  It's sort of like
putting your lips in position of "u" and the rest of your mouth in position
for "i".

~mark