Lojban material now available on PLS - LOTS!!!

The following is an updated version of the file posted to the PLS
entitled "readme" which includes an annotated and categorized index to
all files on the list.  The file actually on the server right now under
this name is somewhat inaccurate because 1) some files, specifically
back issues of JL and LK and the historical archive of Lojban text were
not posted to PLS, 2) actual file lengths of the files as posted seem to
be a bit shorter probably due to conversion from MS-DOS to UNIX file
formats.  The following version corrects this information.

Following the "readme" file is an abbreviated set of instructions for
obtaining files from the server.  Send the one line message 'help' to
langserv@hebrew.cc.columbia.edu to get the full help listing.  While you
can put multiple requests in a file, my experience has been that if
there is any error on any command, the entire set is disregarded.  I
would therefore suggest getting 1 file at a time until you are sure what
you are doing.

In addition, I wish to warn you that the 2 versions of the gismu list on
the server at this posting are obsolete - they apparently were not
updated from the files I sent Jerry and Mark.  I expect that this will
be corrected in a couple of days, and I've asked Mark to let people know
this is so, since I know people who want the updated list.  The files in
question are gismu.lst and logdata.raw

The gismu list baseline is on the point of changing, making this even more
confusing.  The following describes the situation AFTER Mark has put the
new files up:

gismu.lst is the official, public domain baseline.  It has 40 character
definitions of the gismu, and has been relatively unchanged for a few years
now.  Only minor corrections have been put into the posted file.

logdata.raw is a preliminary version of the new baseline.  I intend the
new baseline to take effect approximately at the publication of JL16,
hopefully within a month.  The baseline as published will differ very
little from the posted file - I may put in a few of the changes
warranted by the cleft place structures discussion.  Given the time it took
to get the material I'm announcing today on-line, though, the baseline
version of logdata.raw may take a few months to be available on PLS.

I would recommend using the current logdata.raw file, and ignoring the
gismu.lst file, UNLESS it is vital to you to be using a public domain
version.  Frankly, I won't object to any copying of the still
copyrighted draft as long as the copyright notice and the notice that it
is a draft stays intact with the file.  To all intents and purposes, the
old 40-character file is obsolete.  It may have archival value for
understanding Lojban text prior to 1992, which is most of it.  I would,
however, recommend that any new text be written using the logdata.raw
place structures.  Hopefully future version transitions will occur more
smoothly.

This is an awful lot of material on Lojban that we are making available.
Hopefully both Lojbanists and conlangers will find it useful.  I would
appreciate any and all comments.

 -------------------- cut here --------------------
8 January 1992 version

Copyright, 1991, 1992, by the Logical Language Group, Inc. 2904 Beau Lane,
Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA Phone (703) 385-0273

Questions: Contact Bob LeChevalier at the above address or via:
lojbab@grebyn.com

All rights reserved.  Permission to copy granted subject to your
verification that this is the latest version of this document, that your
distribution be for the promotion of Lojban, that there is no charge for
the product, and that this copyright notice is included intact in the
copy.

See the file epolicy.txt for a more complete explanation of LLG
electronic distribution policy.  We have not yet implemented a
tamper-proof checksum system.

We ask that users of these files consider donating money for the support
of The Logical Language Group, Inc.  We are a 501(c)(3) non-profit
organization and such donations are tax-deductible in the US, to the
extent they exceed the price of things we send you.  While it costs us
little for you to get a copy of the files on this archive, the network
is not free.  LLG will spend some $2000 during 1991 on network access,
supporting Lojban List, this archive, and responding to people like you.
We do not make a profit on our printed materials, so it is your
donations that will allow us to continue to serve the network community
of Lojbanists and people curious about Lojban.

                ___________________________________

As of 8 January 1992, the following are the official postings of The
Logical Language Group, Inc. on this server.  All other postings should
be considered unsanctioned, and possibly incorrect.

Language design materials are explicitly listed here and in the
documents themselves as being in the public domain.  All other documents
are copyrighted under the same heading listed above for this document.

Note on file names.  All file names ending with .unf may contain lines
up to about 120 characters long.  Original documents published by LLG
are formatted using longer than 80 character lines, and this wider
line-length was determined to give a more readable text when that
formatting was removed.  File names ending with .txt are generally under
80 characters in width.  Other file name extensions have no implication.

Many files are compressed using a rather simplistic program that
tabifies every 8 characters INCLUDING A SINGLE SPACE IN A 0 MOD 8
POSITION.  We have since learned that some tab expanders will take a TAB
in a 0 mod 8 position and expand it to 9 spaces instead of 1. This could
cause you problems, which hopefully this notice will help you correct if
it affects you.  We consider this a failed experiment:  when I next send
data to PLS for uploading I will send files without the tab compression,
but this may be a few months.

The PLS has very limited disk space.  LLG has convinced Mark and Jerry
to post much of the material we sent them, but they do not have room for
all of it.  In particular, back issues of JL and LK, and a LOT of Lojban
text could not be posted.  I want to see some or all of this material
available, if only on a limited time basis.  Therefore, in about 3
months, I will be asking Mark and Jerry to tell me the rates of access
for Lojban directory files.  Seldom accessed files may be deleted to
allow us to make room for new stuff, as listed at the end of this
document.  So please don't delay too long if you want a file listed
here.

___Control documents

readme  .                               This file.
epolicy .txt      2912  10-09-91  16:06 The LLG Electronic Distribution Policy
orderfrm.unf      9497  10-14-91  12:08 Current LLG Product List & Order Form
                                        Include Paper Postal Address on any
                                        order, please.

___Language Design Materials and Drafts

grammar .28      64552  10-11-91  10:10 Baselined Lojban Grammar - YACC version
                                        Public Domain.  Without explanatory
                                        text included in printed versions.
bnf     .28       7872  10-11-91  10:10 EBNF form of the Baselined Lojban
                                        Grammar.  Not verified. Public domain.
pronounc.unf      9718  10-14-91  12:08 Pronunciation guide. Public domain.
gismu   .lst    ~90109  10-09-91  16:12 Baselined gismu list. Public domain.
                                        Expected to be superseded before 1992
                                        by a modified version of logdata.raw
logdata .raw   ~117039  10-14-91  11:57 Lojban gismu (root word) draft update
                                        >80 characters wide
roget   .lst     40612  10-14-91  12:42 gismu sorted by Roget category. Draft.
logdata3.cma     88312  10-14-91  11:58 Lojban cmavo (structure word) list.
                                        Public domain. cmavo order
                                        >80 characters wide
logdata3.lex     88312  10-14-91  11:59 Lojban cmavo (structure word) list.
                                        Public domain. selma'o
                                        (grammar category) order
                                        >80 characters wide
lehavla .alg      2326  10-14-91  12:03 Draft proposal for borrowing words.

___Introductory Materials in Suggested Order

loglan  .txt      8598  10-14-91  12:06 Introduction and history for those
                                        familiar with other Loglan versions
brochure.eng     62820  10-14-91  12:01 Basic Lojban Brochure -formatted for
                                        electronic distribution
postbroc.txt     28312  10-14-91  12:08 An edited version of elecbroc.txt
                                        abbreviated so as to be more suitable
                                        for electronic transmission.
minilsne.txt     30917  10-16-91  12:21 Draft introductory Lojban mini-lesson.
                                        Return answers to LLG for correction.
overview.unf     63143  10-14-91  12:08 Overview of the language and intro.
                                        to specialized terminology
diagexam.unf     10851  10-09-91  16:10 Diagrammed Examples of Lojban Text

___Teaching Materials and Detailed Discussion

useoldl1.txt     15233  10-14-91  12:09 How to use 1975 Loglan 1 to study
                                        Lojban (partially correct for 1989
                                        version)
newrafsi.unf     77773  10-14-91  12:07 List of Lojban rafsi (affixes) and
                                        how to make compounds (lujvo).
negation.unf    127903  10-14-91  12:07 Negation in Lojban. Many examples.
scrabble.unf      6098  10-14-91  12:09 Suggested games rules based on
                                        Lojban letter frequencies

___Why Lojban?

whylojb .txt    198651  10-14-91  12:09 General discussion on 'Why Lojban?'
                                        extracted from ju'i lobypli,
                                        Includes JCB on Sapir Whorf.
                                        Many contributors.
mactrans.txt     12681  10-14-91  12:06 Lojban and machine translation
                                        by Patrick Juola
moody   .txt     18972  10-14-91  12:06 Lojban and other planned languages
                                        by Todd Moody
lojb_esp.txt    180734  10-14-91  12:00 Lojban and Esperanto - JL discussions
                                        including comments from Donald Harlow
                                        and Lojban's 'Answer' to the '16 Rules'
lojling .txt     18942  10-14-91  12:06 Lojban's relevance to linguistics and
                                        linguistics research
reply   .txt     38747  10-14-91  12:08 1991 Reply to Arnold Zwicky's 1969
                                        "Language" Review of Loglan 1
netdisc .txt    178912  10-14-91  12:07 Extracted Network Discussions of Lojban
                                        and Sapir-Whorf - mostly 8-9/90

___Lojban Text

lordpray.unf      7781  10-14-91  12:06 Lojban Paternoster, updated to
                                        current language.  A prosaic version.

___Other materials
l1longrv.txt     70543   6-08-91  15:56 unpublished draft review - Loglan 1

___Forthcoming Material we hope to post within 3-4 months

6 Draft Textbook Lessons - updated to 1992 language
New Draft Textbook Lesson 1
Esperanto Translation of Lojban Brochure - Official Release
        lojbroch.e-o.tex is a draft version of this release
Glossary of Lojban/linguistic terminology
Lojban and Sapir-Whorf Bibliography
Lojban and PROLOG demonstration example
Lojban gismu etymologies
Rebaselined gismu list
Revisions to the minilesson and the diagrammed examples of Lojban
Synopsis of Lojban Orthography, Phonology, Morphology - Updated to 1992
selma'o paper - discussion and examples of Lojban grammar
tense paper - introduction to Lojban tense structures
attitudinal paper - updated to 1992
logical connectives paper - intor to logical and non-logical connectives
MEX paper - Lojban expression of mathematical text
  (additional papers are planned to cover other aspects of the Lojban
   grammar and will also be posted as available)
Back Issues of ju'i lobypli and le lojbo karni - in chronological order
 Issues of le lojbo karni since lk11 are highly redundant to the
 corresponding jl issue
All published Lojban text; Not updated to current language.  Mostly
 translated & with commentary.  Probably with some kind of difficulty
 and quality grading to help you choose appropriate materials.

The following unofficial files are known to be in this directory at this
posting:

24 Jun 1991      815 elecread.me - an obsolete version of this file that
 should soon be deleted
12 Sep 1991    69755 lojbroch.e-o.tex - the draft Esperanto translation of
 the Lojban brochure in brochure.eng  Comments and suggestions welcome.
02 Jan 1991     2373 Description - the official PLS description file of
 all files in the Lojban directory.  Not as detailed or as accurate as
 this file.
19 Dec 1990    23871 metflidjimao-vedsia
19 Dec 1990    27415 welding-shop
 Jim Carter's 1984 Loglan short story and English translation - not Lojban
 compatible nor consistent with the current TLI language, it is still one
 of the longest Loglan texts written originally in Loglan rather than in
 translation.
11 May 1990    49403 brochure.french
 A French translation of a somewhat earlier version of the Lojban brochure.

 -------------------- cut here --------------------

Abbreviated instructions for the PLS server

To make the archive server do something you should send an electronic
mail message to langserv@hebrew.cc.columbia.edu.  The body of the
message should consist of one command per line.  The case of the text
does not matter.  Note, however, that the server runs on a UNIX system,
and thus, for filenames, the case DOES matter, so be sure the files you
request are properly capitalized.

Use a null subject line

You can find out what files are available with the command "index lojban"

  path <mail-path>

    "Path" is used to override the mail path that the archive server
    chooses from the header of your mail message.  You should use this
    whenever you know that the return address of your message will not
    be useful to the archive server.  The archive server only knows
    about domain style address.

       path jbaltz@hebrew.cc.columbia.edu

  send <archive> <file..>

    "Send" mails to you the files in the specified archive.  All of
    the files that you request will be sent to you archived together
    possibly encoded and split up into messages that are small enough
    to be mailed. You may have as many "sends" in the body of your mail
    message as you wish.

       send lojban logdata.raw

    By default, files that are mailable are simply stuck together with
    the text "cut here" between files and; non-mailable files are archived
    via unix tar. Non-mailable files must be converted to something mailable.
    By default this is done with "uuencode".  Some large or long-lined
    Lojban files may be considered non-mailable, and you will need to
    run uudecode on the file(s) that you are mailed.  See your sysadmin
    if you don't know how to do this.

    There are commands to change all of these defaults, as well as the
    default size for messages sending files to you.

If you have problems or questions, you should send mail to
archive-management@hebrew.cc.columbia.edu

As always, much thanks to Jerry Altzman and Mark Shoulson for providing the
excellent PLS service.

lojbab
----
lojbab = Bob LeChevalier, President, The Logical Language Group, Inc.
         2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA
         703-385-0273
         lojbab@grebyn.com