Re: more thoughts on lujvo

Dave Cortesi raises some interesting ideas on th relationship
between the speaker and the listener. This is especially true if
these are of different cultures and may therefore apply different
"world knowledge" to the interpretation.

What happens if the auditor is a computer? Even reasonably smart
computer programs are (typically) woefully lacking in any sort of
world-knowledge and have very little culture to fall back on. _If_
one of the aims of Lojban is to be reasonably well understood by our
modern idiot-savants, then some rules would be very helpful. However
I can understand the reluctance to specify rules at this early
stage, when there is a good chance that we will blow it. We would
appear to be in a classic 'Catch 22' situation. (Anyone care to
produce a tanru for that, bearing in mind when the movie was made).

Chris Handley                                     chandley@otago.ac.nz
Dept of Computer Science                       Ph     (+64) 3-479-8499
University of Otago                           Fax     (+64) 3-479-8577
Dunedin, NZ