Re: more response to And

(quoting lojbab):

> remember that Lojban "h", the apostrophe, is a devoiced vowel glide - it
> should never be velarized or even particularly fricative.  Calling the
> thing an "h" sound is to make it easier for English speaking
> non-linguists, who hear "h" (and are never satisfied by our explanation
> of why we use apostrophe instead of "h" for the sound)

And here I believed that the Lojban apostrophe really WAS an English h!
Perhaps understanding is impossible for an English-speaking non-linguist
like me, but can you explain what the difference is?  How can I produce
the intended sound rather than the "h" I hear (even if I'm unlikely
to go to the trouble)?

Thanks.

                 Alan Beale               sasacb@vm.sas.com
"When asked what you do for a living, say you laugh for a living." -- Dylan