Re: Kennaway on speaker's intent

I'm sitting in my office. You come in and say "Do you have the time?" At
this point I, of course, can utter any utterable utterance conceivable
(including a null one), but there is a finite subset of utterances that
really answer the question. "George" is not normally one of them, unless,
perhaps, I have a 2 o'clock appointment with George and it is now 2
o'clock. Likewise, I can answer "2 o'clock" but that really answers the
question "What time is it?" It's as though I prefixed an implied "Do what I
really want you to do when I ask the following question:", sort of a Do
What I Mean command. So the answer, in a logical language, to the question
"Do you have the time" is "Yes, I do" or "No I don't". The answer to "DWIM:
Do you have the time?" is usually something like "2 o'clock" and sometimes
even "George". I think this distinction would be even clearer in Welsh,
which has no explicit "yes" or "no". There you would have to answer
"Yes-I-have-it" or "No-I-don't" (although here, too, you can answer "2
o'clock". Or "Hugh Evans" :-) ).