Lost-vivor: “The Little Prince”

Posted on February 6, 2009 @ 12:00 am

Lost-vivor

Welcome to Lost-vivor — all the mystery and adventure of Lost with an added dash of Survivor-style competition! Please note that the section ahead contains spoilers for this week’s episode of Lost. Proceed at your own risk.

jin orderly
Why He’s This Week’s Winner:
In a “shocking” development many viewers expected all along, Jin survived the freighter explosion! Nevertheless, cheating certain death always scores major Lost-vivor points — even if we all see it coming. Too bad he’s stuck skipping through time with the rest of the Left Behinders.

Coolest Moment:
His “WTF?!” face upon being introduced to a young Danielle Rousseau.
Why He’s This Week’s Loser:
Bad news, Random Assassin Disguised as a Nurse — you’re the latest addition to Sayid Jarrah’s ever-expanding Trail o’ Corpses.

Lamest Moment:
Spinning around dramatically to fire two tranquilizer darts into Sayid’s now-vacant pillow. Seriously, dude…if you turned your head like two degrees to the left, he was standing right there. Positioning himself slightly off-screen doesn’t make Sayid invisible, you know.

Confused by the new format? Check out the recap of “Because You Left” for more details.

“The Little Prince” was another solid episode. I didn’t find it quite as compelling as last’s week’s installment, but the episode as a whole was definitely effective in terms of moving the action forward, both on and off the Island. Of course, the Island stuff continues to be far more compelling than the continuing saga of the Oceanic Six, but I’m not really sure how the writers could remedy that problem. Among the off-Island crew, Ben and Sun are the only characters I find terribly intriguing. Kate has been grating on my nerves for a few seasons now, my beloved Sayid is in serious danger of becoming a one-dimensional character, Aaron has a giant noggin, and Jack is more or less following Ben blindly at this point (never a good idea).

In contrast, I can’t get enough of the time-hopping Islanders. Locke is once again channeling that vibe that made him such a cool character in the first season (although that’s usually fleeting), Sawyer is showing a surprising degree of emotional range, and Juliet is finally stepping up as a leader. I’m definitely intrigued by the hints that both Charlotte and Miles have a prior connection to the Island. I’m starting to wonder if Miles might be a grown-up version of Dr. Marvin Candle’s infant son, glimpsed briefly in the opening moments of the season premiere. Charlotte, on the other hand, I’m still trying to figure out.

Neither the Jin reveal nor the debut of Sinister, Gun-Totin’ Sun was particularly shocking, but I think I like the direction each is going. The younger, decidedly friendlier version of Rousseau was also a treat. I’ve always wanted more back story on Rousseau and her crew, and I hope Jin doesn’t hop away to another time period before we get a chance to see them stricken by the early stages of the Sickness.

Anyway, “The Little Prince” continues Season Five’s hot streak. Here’s hoping LOST can keep the momentum up as we move ahead.

Random Thoughts…

• For some odd reason, my favorite quip of the night (as delivered by Ben): “He’s my lawyer.” Also, Ben’s lawyer is totally Graham from My So-Called Life.

• I really enjoyed Locke’s spooked reaction to seeing the light shining up from the Hatch in the distance. It’s interesting that he still seems to think of that moment as his absolute lowest on the Island.

• Hey, it’s Ajira Airways! Big ups to the viral marketing campaign, yo.

• File this under Kooky Theories, but for some reason, I can’t shake the notion that the unseen people chasing the Left Behinders in the outrigger canoe might have been the Oceanic Six from some indeterminate point in the future. Why they would be shooting at the Left Behinders, however, I have no idea.

• I wish someone would buy me a box of chocolates with a handgun in it.

• That’s all for this week. See you next time!

Posted by Jess | Filed Under Lost-vivor |

1. Jackie February 6, 2009 1:06 am

Hey, Jess! This is the first time I’ve commented here, though I’ve been reading Lost-vivor almost since it started. I love your sense of humor and comments. I’ll admit to being a little disappointed with the format change, but I’m adjusting. Which brings me to my question: At the end of the season, will there be an “ultimate” Lost-vivor and Lost-loser? And I do hope you bring back the fan-favorite poll. It’s always fun to see where that goes.

Can’t wait to read next week’s entry. :)

BEN ROCKS!

2. Katie February 6, 2009 10:19 am

I’m glad Jin is the Lost-Vivor this week!

I consider myself to be somewhat of a Lost Novice, but when the freighter exploded, I knew Jin wasn’t dead. And I stood by that. Who knew that I would actually get something right?! I think that’s only happened one other time before, and it was earlier this season.

I was so smug, I’m pretty sure I sent my friend a text that said, “Nice try, writers!” I bet I jinxed myself. Now the whole season will confuse the crap out of me!!

3. James February 6, 2009 10:20 am

Poor Jin. Just as he’s learning English he washes up on a beach with a bunch of French people. The guy can’t catch a break.

4. David February 6, 2009 3:47 pm

I thought exactly the same thing about the folks chasing and shooting at the leftbehinders. Its Jack and Sayid and they want that boat back! I’ll also ask the question, SHould Danielle remember Jin 16 years later when she sees him in the Losties camp? Does 16 years by yourself on crazy island make you forget things like that?

5. Daniel Louden February 6, 2009 4:49 pm

Ben’s lawyer is also known as Tom Irwin and I just saw him on stage at Steppenwolf in Chicago in “The Seafarer”. He played Mr. Lockhart (the devil) and was mind-blowingly good. If there’s anyone reading these comments who has a chance to see that show, pony up the money, it’s well worth it.

6. Iain February 7, 2009 3:10 pm

I think another minus for mr. orderly dart gun is that if Sayid really shot those darts into his heart, he probably didn’t get knocked unconscious, he bled out and died. Lame! His centric episode is going to be SO BORING.

- Jack almost gave away the whole “Claire- lived-through-the-crash-and-had-her-baby-on-the-island-but-subsequently-sleepwalked-into-a-mysterious-ghost-house-to-live-with-an-unknown-spiritual-force-and-the-ghost-of-my-dead-father-so-my-sorta-girlfriend-is-raising-him-even-though-he’s-my-nephew” thing. There’s almost no way to accidentally reveal that. Nice going, genius.

+Sun has a secret admirer! Guys, take note; apparently what the ladies want for Valentine’s is sweet, delicious chocolate and a silenced compact 32 mm pistol.

-I’m awaiting, dreading, the moment when Kate says “Moy bay-bee!” in Claire’s voice. It’s totally going to happen. Mark my words.

+How did they combine Aaron’s birth scene with Sawyer’s time flash so well? That was ridiculous. I feel the need to go back and look for Sawyer in the background of that scene now.

The whole island crew is looking more like Gilligan’s Island than ever before- they’ve got the professor and Ginger, and since it’s his island, Locke would have to be…Gilligan. I dearly hope he proves me wrong.

7. Danny February 7, 2009 8:28 pm

@ lain, I’m dreading the moment when Kate says: MY BOY!!!!!!! I figure it’s around 3000x as bad as Michael saying it

8. lostnerd February 8, 2009 12:25 am

haha lain i swear i wanted to do the same thing
      i was so close to going back and watching that episode to see if he was there! how sad is that!
      and yeah a pistol with some chocolates would be nice
      i just hope i dont end up shooting my tv or computer

9. kaitlyn February 8, 2009 11:23 pm

I wanted to punch Kate and Jack in the face every time they showed up. They’re so whiny and annoying. Jack just needs to get over it and come out already. Srsly.

Also, Benry wins at life.

10. Bre February 9, 2009 12:21 am

..1st: apology for posting this week’s comment on last week’s (did I?!? I’m sooo confused now :)

Love that you made the assassin this episode’s loser. He seriously failed there. Loved Sayid’s take down.

Jin - yeah! (’nough said).

11. genevieve centipede February 11, 2009 11:21 pm

Great post, Kate has gone downhill for me ever since she left New Otherton. I’ve been a fan of your blog for some time now, so thanks! I love the trickery of the whole who’s whos daddy and finding out the story of the island by actually living then.

Comment: I do miss the individual point system dearly…..

12. Adam February 13, 2009 1:17 am

This blog just isn’t the same anymore :(

13. Mike February 18, 2009 5:42 pm

I enjoy the new format but I will say I liked the odler one better. That said I can undertsand the change, though the fact that real life seems to be intruding on the updates is not good. :-)

14. Jeff Schiller February 18, 2009 11:40 pm

No offense intended Jess, but I think you’re making a mistake not finding a couple hours to spend on Lost and Lost-vivor per week, you have a committed fan-base that’s suffering ;)

With only 34 episodes to go over a 2 year period, it would have been great to look back on the Lost-vivor experience from start to finish once the show ends. Now we can only look back on seasons 3 and 4 with nostalgia and a tear in our eye and think of what could have been for seasons 5 and 6… sniff sniff…

In all seriousness, I know how busy life can get, I just think you’ll regret it a couple years from now.

15. IMS February 21, 2009 12:53 pm

Jess ~ Thanks so much for your witty commentary. I know I appreciate it when you can post LOSTvivor, but I understand that it’s alot to keep up with. I know you are enjoying the new season as much as we are. I hope life is treating you well outside of the blogosphere (lame usuage of words, I know).

16. Buzd February 27, 2009 9:44 am

Is this blog officially dead?

17. Danny February 27, 2009 5:29 pm

I would venture to say it is

18. C February 27, 2009 10:07 pm

Hey Jess,
      Just wanted to say that Lost-vivor was a treat while it lasted. Thanks for the time you put into it. Hope you are managing the stressors of life and are enjoying the answers and questions of this season. Take care.

19. Brandon February 28, 2009 5:00 pm

yikes I hope he didn’t fall off a cliff or something.

20. Babs February 28, 2009 10:13 pm

I’d like to reiterate “C’s” thoughts. Thank you for running Lost-vivor for the past few years. If it is indeed on an indefinite hiatus, it will be missed. As a university professor myself, I do understand that things come up and infringe on one’s personal time and interests. With best wishes-

21. Danny March 1, 2009 12:53 am

I’d also like to throw in my two cents. Thanks so much for lostvivor over the seasons, it sucks hardcore that you can’t do it anymore, but enjoy the last two seasons, you know all of us will

22. lostnerd March 1, 2009 1:44 am

wait no more lostvivor?
      NNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      aww man i love lostvivor

23. Kat March 1, 2009 5:23 pm

Aw. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaalt! I mean, Noooooooooo! :-) Take care, Jess, and thanks for all of the hard work that went into entertaining us all!

24. Erin March 2, 2009 3:09 am

=’(
      I’ve been checking daily to see if you’ve posted, but it looks like Lostvivor’s on a bit of a break right now? I’ll miss it, but don’t worry- we all understand! Your personal life comes first, of course! Hope everything’s okay on your end. =)

25. lostnerd March 4, 2009 11:40 pm

ok just wanted to ask if anybody else was disgusted by sawyer and juliet being together?
      cuz i was covering my eyes! my nightmare came true!
      and sawyer seemed to have changed a lot and i dont like it at all

26. Bre March 5, 2009 11:55 am

While I’m missing Lostvivor, i hope everything’s all right.
      Jess, you ok?
      is this a just a break/down-time so you can work on other things OR should we be worried?

27. Datadog March 6, 2009 11:51 am

I think I’m more worried about Jess than Lost-vivor at this point. I hope you’re doing all right.

28. Danny March 7, 2009 2:31 pm

I’m with datadog

29. Holly March 8, 2009 3:47 pm

Hope that everything is okay, Jess!

30. Erin March 14, 2009 10:24 pm

It’s been over a month- I really hope you’re okay!

31. wendy gouine March 18, 2009 4:45 pm

Dude? Are you still alive?

32. lara March 19, 2009 4:36 pm

Having abandoned a blog of my own, I can understand how easy it is to do….so I’m sure you’re just busy (I hope) and everything is okay, but I did want to also throw my two cents in with everyone else’s - maybe you’ll have enough change in the end to buy something of a dollar menu!

Anyway, I loved, loved, loved the old version of Lostvivor, sad when you switched to the new system, and really sad when I saw there were no more updates, but….thanks for the good times! We’ll miss you!

33. Vlada March 19, 2009 6:09 pm

I still beleve that lostvivor will survive somehow…

Maybe it is 30 years in the past :D

34. lostnerd April 6, 2009 7:48 pm

haha lol but wouldnt we have remembered it?
      no jk i wasnt alive

35. Jeannie Porter April 7, 2009 2:39 pm

Jess,

I sure miss the old Lostvivor…it made my week; however, I do understand your issues! I hope all is well with you…and we miss you!

36. Erin April 9, 2009 2:59 am

I just thought I’d stop in here to see if Jess posted about tonight’s episode, but doesn’t look like it. I was pretty happy with “Dead is Dead”…although I’ve always loved Ben, haha.

37. Iain April 10, 2009 6:18 am

I’d say Ben lost and Locke won “Dead is Dead.” Pretty handily. Locke “just asking for an apology” was the best thing I’ve ever heard from the character.

Also Jess, feel better! You don’t have to post Lost-vivor anymore! Just let us know that you’re busy/alive.

38. Quinta April 22, 2009 5:27 am

Well said.

39. Brandon April 27, 2009 8:49 am

Who wants to start taking bets on what happened to Jess?

I think either a close relative died, he lost his job, or he got sucked back into World of Warcraft.

40. Mike April 29, 2009 9:04 am

I’ll go with being sucked back into WoW. Site is still active so the server bill is being paid.

41. Iain April 30, 2009 2:49 am

Re: Episode #100, “The Variable”

NOOOOOOOO!

42. Kat April 30, 2009 4:55 pm

Re: Episode #100, “The Variable”

NOOOOOOOO! INDEED!! Oh MAN. What a heartbreaker. He was and will always be my Lost-vivor champion. ::sob::

43. Bre April 30, 2009 11:50 pm

ep #100 so Miles is now the only one left who was born on the island but grow up off it.Charlotte’s gone…and now Daniel’s dead. shot by his mom. still in shock from that.

so Loser of the week - who to choose - guy locked in closet or guy shot by a physicist?!?!?

winner: Desmond - because the romance ain’t dead :)

Hope all’s well, Jess!