Lost-vivor: “The Lie”

Posted on February 1, 2009 @ 2:46 pm

Lost-vivor

Welcome to Lost-vivor — all the mystery and adventure of LOST with an added dash of Survivor-style competition! Please note that the section ahead contains spoilers for this week’s episode of LOST. Proceed at your own risk.

Ana Lucia frogurt
Why She’s This Week’s Winner:
Process of elimination, basically. Sayid was unconscious the entire episode, Hurley allowed himself to be arrested for multiple homicides he didn’t commit, Juliet and Sawyer were captured by the Hostiles, Jack and Ben didn’t do anything interesting, and Locke didn’t show up until the very end. At least the Ghost of Ana Lucia has some decent advice to offer.

Coolest Moment:
“Oh, yeah — Libby says ‘Hi.’”
Why He’s This Week’s Loser:
It seems poor Neil was put on the Nikki/Paulo fast track. Instead of popping up and annoying audiences and castaways alike for half a season before meeting his grisly demise, Frogurt got all up in Bernard and Sawyer’s respective grills and then took a flaming arrow to the chest five minutes later. See you in another life, brotha.

Lamest Moment:
I’m going to go with the whole flaming arrow thing. I guess it’s still better than being buried alive, though.

Confused by the new format? Check out the recap of “Because You Left” for more details.

“The Lie” wasn’t quite the WTF-laden thrill ride of “Because You Left,” but it was a strong episode nonetheless. I still find the events taking place on the Island more interesting than the Oceanic Six stuff, but Hurley’s story was quite a bit of fun. I had no idea the big guy loved Shih Tzus! I’m also rather intrigued by Ben’s off-island contacts — i.e. Jill the corpse-hiding butcher. Oh, and the reveal of Ms. Hawking, the creepy jewelry store clerk who confronted a time-hopping Desmond in Season Three’s “Flashes Before Your Eyes,” was pure awesomeness.

Random Thoughts…

• Hey, Rose — do you think you could henpeck Bernard a little more? I think he still has a little self-esteem left.

• I’m digging Juliet more this season than I have in the past. Oh, and I’m totally turning into a Sawyer/Juliet ’shipper.

• I’m pretty sure that Sun still blames Kate for Jin’s death, regardless of what she says. I can’t help but wonder if Sun is somehow in cahoots with Widmore at this point or if she’s still pursuing her own agenda.

• Totally love the fact that Hurley’s dad was watching an episode of Exposé.

• Nothing is tastier — or safer to eat — than a wild boar that drops dead in the middle of the jungle from natural causes. Nice work, Miles!

• Threatening to cut off Juliet’s hand? No wonder DHARMA calls them the Hostiles.

• I’m such a sucker for knife-throwing, super-awesome Locke that it’s almost enough to make me forget all the lame stuff he does in the average episode. Almost.

• Did Hurley just throw a Hot Pocket at Ben? Libby would be so proud.

• That’s it for “The Lie.” I’ll check back in the next couple of days with a quick recap of “Jughead,” and we should be back on schedule. Take care!

Posted by Jess | Filed Under Lost-vivor |

1. Danny February 1, 2009 3:16 pm

I think I’m gonna dig this new lost-vivor after all, Thanks jess!!

2. Michael February 1, 2009 3:33 pm

Great recap. So glad to see the mentions of Expose and the already-infamous Hot Pocket. I’m really digging what’s going on with Sun, I think she’s going to be way more interesting this season than ever before. It seems super clear to me, though, that Jin is clearly not dead. I don’t know where he is, but I have no doubt that he’s alive - and I wonder how that’s going to affect her.

3. Holly February 1, 2009 6:47 pm

I do like the new format - but can you humor me and tell me how many points throwing the Hot Pocket at Ben would have gained Hurley? That was the FIRST thing I thought of when it happened… :)

4. Daniel Louden February 1, 2009 8:59 pm

Juliet/Sawyer shippers from now on will be referred to as Julaywer’s (Jew Lawyer)

That’s all

5. Iain February 1, 2009 11:48 pm

Apparently Ben had a line that was cut, “Now that’s a terrible waste of a hot pocket, Hugo.” So I award 20 bonus points to Ben.

And yes, that Ana Lucia scene was played just right! Also I think she got to smile for the first time in the show.

6. Jess February 2, 2009 4:01 pm

@Danny: Glad you like it! I’m warming up to the format myself.

@Holly: It depends. Speaking from experience, Hot Pockets can be nuclear hot if fresh out of the microwave. A little cheese or tomato sauce splatter can make a Hot Pocket into the convenience food equivalent of a Molotov cocktail. So, I’m going with +7 points for wielding it as a weapon.

@Iain: Yeah, I’m pretty sure this episode marks the first time I’ve actually liked Ana Lucia.

7. Marisa February 5, 2009 11:30 am

Aside from the fact that Sayid was unconscious for most of the episode…I mentally awarded him at least 10 points for killing a dude with a dishwasher despite the fact he had been shot up with horse tranquilizers. Good stuff.