Lost-vivor: “Because You Left”

Posted on January 31, 2009 @ 12:55 am

Lost-vivor

Welcome to Lost-vivor — all the mystery and adventure of LOST with an added dash of Survivor-style competition! Please note that the section ahead contains spoilers for this week’s episode of LOST. Proceed at your own risk.

I’ll get the easy part of the story out of the way first. Due first to equipment failure and then later to several consecutive days of nasty ice storms, I’ve been without an Internet connection for over a week. Hence the delay in posting Lost-vivor.

The more difficult part of the story is this: Lost-vivor is undergoing some significant changes this season. First, as the sorry state of my blog suggests, I simply don’t have the kind of time for blogging that I once did. Work, family, plans for world conquest…all the usual excuses. Secondly, as I watched the two-hour premiere of LOST last week, perched on the edge of the sofa with my Lost-vivor score sheet in hand, I realized that all the meticulous record-keeping was starting to detract from my enjoyment of the show. I just wanted to kick back and enjoy the ride, not micro-analyze whether that was a Hot Pocket or a microwaved burrito that Hurley just threw at Ben and then decide whether he gains points for using food as a weapon or loses points for throwing away a perfectly good Hot Pocket.

So, my plan this season is to turn Lost-vivor into something a little more manageable. Each week, I’ll choose a Lost-vivor of the Week and a Lost-loser of the Week. I’ll also share some of my thoughts on the week’s episode, throw out a few crackpot theories, and more or less do all the other stuff that goes along with the usual Lost-vivor recap.

To sum up: The recap is late because the T3 line that runs into the back of my skull came dislodged for a few days, and Lost-vivor is being watered down because I’m a lazy bastard. I’ll take care of “Because You Left” below and follow up with “The Lie” and “Jughead” in the next few days.

Daniel Faraday Kate Austen
Why He’s This Week’s Winner:
Because Daniel Faraday is the effin’ man, yo. After realizing the Island was jumping around through time, he immediately took charge of his fellow Lost-vivors, effectively leapfrogging Sawyer, Juliet, and Frogurt in the Losties’ chain of command.

Coolest Moment:
It’s a sign of just how bad the economy is these days when a brilliant — if eccentric — physicist has no choice but to take a construction job to make ends meet, but how awesome was it seeing Dan on-hand for the initial excavation of the Orchid Station?
Why She’s This Week’s Loser:
If somebody came up to me on the street and asked if there was any way to make Kate from LOST an even more annoying character than she already was, I’d reply, “Yeah, I guess you could always team her up with a sickeningly precocious toddler and send them off in search of adventure.” Well played, LOST writers.

Lamest Moment:
Mostly the parts when she was on-screen. You know, talking and stuff. Here’s hoping Sun didn’t really forgive her for Jin’s apparent death.

My thoughts on the season premiere? Wow. Just wow. Already, Season Five is shaping up as a roller coaster ride of answers to longstanding mysteries coupled with the introduction of new brain-melting questions. I will say that I’m far more interested in the action taking place on the Island than I am with the Oceanic Six at this point. Somewhere along the way last season, it seems Daniel, Charlotte, and Miles emerged as some of my favorite characters on the show. It’s also a treat to have Richard Alpert back in action.

Fully embracing time travel as a central plot point could have been the moment when LOST jumped the (DHARMA) shark, but it feels like they’re actually going to pull this off. Meanwhile, I’m keeping my fingers crossed that we’ll jump back in time and get more of Rousseau’s back story at some point this season. Anyway, the season is off to a great start. I can’t wait to see where it goes from here.

Posted by Jess | Filed Under Lost-vivor |

1. Iain January 31, 2009 3:17 am

My thoughts exactly! I was so happy that the third episode was almost entirely about the island-folk, because it showed us more of the Faraday-Charlotte-Miles interaction. Are they the new clique?

+ Jack shaved his beard…FINALLY.
    + Sayid’s definition of “safehouse” is a place where all the steak knives are in the dishwasher blade-up! That’s how real men sort their cutlery!
    - We all tried to tell you that re-enacting that scene from Old School wasn’t a good idea, Sayid.
    + With all these dramatic confrontations in airports and whatnot, Sun is shaping up to be a potential badass. How awesome would it be to see her doing parkour?
    - Locke falls off those vines for what’s gotta be the umpteenth time that someone climbs up those things and then gets seriously injured. Just…just stop it, John. Seriously.
    - When someone takes a cellphone picture of you in a bathrobe with ketchup stains, waving a gun around on a hotel balcony…you know you’ve pretty much hit rock bottom.
    + Jin’s listed as a regular! Wait, what?
    + Sawyer: The Ghost of Christmas Future.

Sorry, I couldn’t help myself with the list! But I still can’t wait for Season 6: We Go Back and Kill Hitler.

2. Danny January 31, 2009 12:36 pm

Great to hear you’re still alive Jess, and I agree wholeheartedly the Daniel is indeed, the effing man

3. frogberg January 31, 2009 12:42 pm

Well I can’t say I’m not disappointed by the new format, but I certainly don’t blame you. If you’re not enjoying the show, what’s the point? Glad to see you weren’t eaten by tropical polar bears.

4. Kayla January 31, 2009 2:22 pm

If I had it my way, Kate would lose every week. And Dan would win every week. Sorry about your T3!

5. Michael January 31, 2009 3:56 pm

When you were first describing the new format, I thought I’d be disappointed, but while I’ll miss Lost-Vivor the Old, I’m digging the simplicity of the new hotness. Plus, yeah, totally, don’t let your blog get in the way of watching and enjoying the best show on TV. :) Plus, I’d rather hear your thoughts in a straight forward way now that the show seems to honestly be looking at wrapping things up. I hope that we’ll have a lot more discussion on the show itself from now on. I loved the cute points and loved reading Lost-Vivor, but won’t mind chatting about the realness one tiny little bit.

Glad to see that your life is going well enough that this isn’t the priority. I think that’s a good thing. :) Thanks for taking the time.

6. Kat January 31, 2009 4:59 pm

Simplicity FTW! Jess, you should absolutely enjoy the show! I think the rest of us can come up with old-timey “point-worthy” bits in the comments. And I could not agree more this week. Daniel is my second-favorite character (behind Desmond) and it was a thrill to see him kicking so much ass. When he peeked up and we saw him in the construction scene, I shrieked and shrieked like a maniac. And poor Kate. She deserves a better storyline… and hey, maybe she’ll get one. I’m really intrigued with what they’re doing with Sun, so I know the writers have it in them!

7. Leah January 31, 2009 7:20 pm

I am *just* now checking LOST-vivor for the first time this season…glad I am not the only person who watches LOST solely due to the magic of Tivo. I still have to watch this week’s epi.

I agree that Daniel is freakin’ awesome. I also loved the commenter from last week who mentioned that Miles might be the Dharma guy’s son. Cool!

So, the lady with the chaple-chalk-map-thingamabob…that was the lady who sold the ring to Desmond, right? But who was the meat lady who was keeping Locke nice and fresh? Hmmm…

8. Jess February 2, 2009 12:55 pm

@Iain: Upward-turned cutlery in the dishwasher is so Sayid. Oh, and I agree on badass Sun. I definitely get the feeling she has an agenda that may very well run counter to that of the remaining Oceanic Six.

@frogberg and Michael: Yeah, I’ll miss the old Lost-vivor too…but I’m having some fun with this new format the more I play with it and refine it a bit.

@Leah: Yep, that was Ms. Hawking, the jewelry store lady from “Flashes Before Your Eyes.” As far as I know, Jill the Butcher is a completely new character.

Thanks to everyone for sticking around patiently. I think we should be back on schedule by this week’s episode.

9. J February 5, 2009 8:52 am

Is something wrong here? I see the pictures, but no text. Didn’t a gizmo get thrown into the monkeyworks, cause I see no discussion of the episode. Am I the only one? The other recaps look okay…

10. RZ February 5, 2009 12:55 pm

I’m also having trouble with how the page loads. The other ones episode pages are fine, though.