Antichrist Superstar: Conversations with the Elderly

Posted on September 29, 2008 @ 12:22 pm

I was having lunch yesterday afternoon with my evangelical step-grandmother-in-law (you know, my wife’s grandfather’s second wife) when the discussion turned to politics.

Her: So, Jess…you study politics for a living. What do you think of our current candidates?

Me: Well, I’m a pretty liberal guy, so I’m inclined to vote for Barack Obama.

Her: Aren’t you worried that he might be the Antichrist?

Me: Pardon?

Her: The Antichrist. Aren’t you concerned that by voting for Obama, you might be voting for the Antichrist?

Me: Not really. I figure if he’s the Antichrist, he’s going to win no matter who I support. So, why not? Right?

Her: But, I mean, wouldn’t that worry you if –

Me: Besides, if Barack Obama really is the Antichrist, why would evangelical Christians want to stand in the way of his rise to power? After all, it’s just a necessary step in bringing about Armageddon and, thus, Christ’s eventual reign on Earth. I mean, aren’t the End Times a good thing if you’re right with God?

Her: Are you telling me that you’d stand up to be counted with the enemies of everything the –

Me: I’m just saying that until Obama admits that he’s the Antichrist, I’m giving him the benefit of the doubt. Could you pass the rolls, please?

I grow more popular with the in-laws by the day.

Posted by Jess | Filed Under In the News, Life in a Nutshell |

1. Randy Peterman September 29, 2008 2:52 pm

I’m not a huge fan of the term Evangelical because its become so negative in its connotation, but as a conservative Christian fellow who happens to also be a programmer. If the Mark of the Beast (AKA 666) was simply a computer chip, and I KNEW for certain that it was the mark of the beast, I would so be working, for free, for the company that made them :)

Oh, and Obama has nothing to match the description of the anti-Christ. Too bad so many people like to buy into crap like that. I used to work at a Christian book store in college and we sold way too many books that put forth whacked out ideas like that. Sad to see that as long as their are listeners, there will be ticklers of ears.

2. Leah September 29, 2008 3:22 pm

Reformed ex-Christian here. Now I am staunchly agnostic, and sort of feel sympathy for Evangelicals. Let’s all be real quiet when we tiptoe past the room in Heaven that they are in, because they think they are the only ones there, hee hee.

I really like Obama, but McCain will win this one. At least it is a step in the right direction. I’m from the South, so it’s hard to fight the culture here and embrace liberalism. As they say, Marxism is dead everywhere except a few Commie countries, and, oh, yeah, college campuses. :) I suppose as a college professor, you would be attacked by rabid coworkers wielding MacBook Airs if you professed the sin of being Republican.

Carry on…great blog as always!

3. Ruko September 29, 2008 4:54 pm

As a religious person, stories like this make me cringe.

If you want to lead a life square with God you’d do a lot better trying to understand and keep the commandments rather than worry about identifying the Anti-Christ.

4. Danny September 29, 2008 5:30 pm

If someone just came out and said “Aren’t you worried Obama is the anti-christ?” I would just have to laugh, seriously

5. meatrace September 29, 2008 5:54 pm

wow jess you routed out the nutters with this post!

May the Flying Spaghetti Monster save you all.

p.s. I’m a Satanist and I support Obama but I assure you the two are unrelated ;)

6. Datadog September 29, 2008 6:04 pm

Obama isn’t even presenting himself in a Christ-like fashion. I’d be more worried about a Republican candidate growing seven heads and breathing fire.

Or more specifically, I’d be more worried about that rabbit outside my window. It’s been staring at me for almost three years straight now. How can it not be the Anti-Christ?

7. Pstonie September 29, 2008 6:45 pm

Sorry Obama, majority still rules.

Nice try, though.

8. Heather T. September 29, 2008 10:47 pm

Pstonie…
    You are right, majority does rule and the majority will choose Obama to be our next PRESIDENT.
    Nice try! ; > )
    OBAMA/BIDEN ‘08

9. Michael September 29, 2008 11:50 pm

Wow…great story. Not to implicitly or explicitly diss you in ANY way, shape, or form, cuz I’m sure your marriage is strong, but this is one of the reasons I was actually relieved when my ex and I broke up… I couldn’t handle this kind of questioning from her relatives constantly. Big ups to you for dealing with it so deftly. :)

10. Mac October 1, 2008 8:44 am

If I didn’t know better, I’d swear you had dinner at my in-laws’ house! Heh!

Coincidentally, for your commenter Randy - I thought the number of the beast had been proven to be 616, not 666? All this Christian mythology, so confusing….

11. mon October 2, 2008 9:51 am

thats gotta be the dumbest thing ive ever heard. but ive heard it around here too. the antichrist. if you dont believe in him he doesnt exist. and just because someone may believe in him doesnt make him a threat to me. You know, nothing to fear but fear itself.

12. Thomas October 17, 2008 4:02 pm

Until Obama produces a legitimate Birth Certificate, I’m having doubts!!! No mother left, no father left, no one to vouch for his birthplace? Has produced a Birth Certificte with text from a laser printer(computer in 1961????). I was born in 1960, my birth certificate was typed, like everyone elese I know…….. He scares me, he has the media, artists, musicians, teachers all singing his praises as god, Only Fox news and the right wing radio are left and the fairness doctrine will most likely be introduced with a left controlled house, senate & White House… no one left to chanllenge him!!!!! scary!!!

13. Arjan November 9, 2008 9:28 am

ok thanks, I just spilled my bread over my keyboard by laughing.