Beverage Report: Cherry Chocolate Diet Dr Pepper

Posted on February 3, 2008 @ 4:17 pm

Tootsie Roll SodaLong-time readers with elephantine memories might recall my review of Diet Dr Pepper Berries & Cream from a couple of years ago. If not, here’s a quick recap:

Avoid this drink at all costs, live a good life, and pray you don’t end up in Hell where I suspect this vile liquid will be served with every meal. Diet Dr Pepper Berries & Cream is like drinking carbonated cough syrup with about six tablespoons of aspertame mixed in for good measure. Seriously, this stuff is the kind of grotty where you take a sip, nearly spit it out, and then take another drink because it couldn’t possibly taste that bad. Guess what? It did. You just got punk’d by Diet Dr Pepper Berries & Cream.

So, ignoring both past experience and my own better judgment, I sampled Cherry Chocolate Diet Dr Pepper — the company’s latest Franken-beverage — earlier today. Now, it’s time for someone out there to ‘fess up. Who among us was clamoring for Tootsie Roll soda? ‘Cause that’s apparently what Dr Pepper is bottling and selling these days: goddamn Tootsie Roll soda. With cherry. And maybe a hint of prune juice?

Seriously, yuck. That being said, I’d still prefer quaffing an entire 24-pack of this cherry-chocolate abomination than sip another teaspoon of the Berries & Cream variety. <shudder>

Quaff-o-Meter Score: 11.2/100

Posted by Jess | Filed Under Random Musings |

1. Aptiva Dave February 3, 2008 8:32 pm

Oh god, tell me about it. I got the diet flavor a few weeks ago and it took me three hours to finish it just because I couldn’t stand to waste my money by throwing it away.

2. Michael February 3, 2008 10:48 pm

Glad to see that you’re back to a semi-regular posting status. And, noted, I will avoid all Dr. Pepper products.

3. pea February 3, 2008 11:15 pm

I saw a commercial for this the other day and I actually gagged at just the very thought of drinking something so hideous. You deserve a very pretty shiny sticker for putting yourself through these tests so that we don’t have to. Thank you!

4. Iain February 4, 2008 8:24 pm

How far off of the original brand are they willing to go? Can we look forward to Cherry Mint Mocha Berry Sirloin-flavored Diet Dr. Pepper?

5. Katie February 5, 2008 3:09 am

OHMYGAWD YOU LIVE!!! I MISSED YOU SO MUCH!!! :)

I didn’t bother trying to taste this one. They are going nuts with the awful flavors. The best Dr Pepper is the one of the Flaming variety (which does not have a drop of soda in it for those that are not hip like me hehe). I caught my finger on fire with one once. Sadly they don’t agree with my tummy anymore after that birthday incident… holy tangent Batman!

6. Brandi February 13, 2008 7:32 pm

I am drinking some of this chocolate beverage right now. I think that perhaps they might have had an interesting idea for valentines day, but it really tastes awful! You’re right, it does taste like a Tootsie Roll only its a Tootsie roll with chemicals in it (that’s what it tastes like to me). The idea might have been creative, but the product wreaks of the need of improvement (literally).

Note: I really like Dr. Pepper. It is my favorite regular soda (vanilla cream soda is my #1). I actually like the berry one okay. But chocolate just should not be carbonated.

Just had a thought, perhaps this might be good with ice cream?

7. Statch February 14, 2008 12:43 am

i agree. it’s bad. the smell of it, the taste of it, the aftertaste of it. all bad. tootsie rolls with prune juice is a valid comparison. only you know when you’re eating your third tootsie roll and it’s kind of starting to get sickening? they take so long to eat that i have to literally labor through my last one when that happens. imagine actually swallowing it and following up with about 5 packs of sweet n’ low.

8. Bogdana February 15, 2008 9:28 am

it was disgusting. i like cherry vanilla ok but i dont buy it often, its usually a rarity bc its not that good. but cherry chocolate? I bought a 12 pack, took three sips, dumped the rest of the can and im going to take the other 11 to work and give them to people i hate. (Im not gonna force myself to drink them because i spent $3 on the 12 pack- its not fair to my body)

9. allison February 25, 2008 2:06 am

I LOVE the new Cherry Chocolate Diet Dr. Pepper!!!! You are all haters!! It takes like liquid chocolate along with my very favorite Dr. Pepper flavor yum! I can’t believe it’s Diet also…..it’s like drinking a refreshingly calorie-free candy bar–pure bliss =-)

10. Deb February 26, 2008 5:22 pm

I LOVE THIS STUFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I’m going to buy up all I can find. You guys are weird.

11. Bob February 29, 2008 9:28 pm

Sipping my first one right now as I write this and I think it’s pretty damn good.

12. Delores March 6, 2008 12:02 pm

I have never liked diet sodas since their conception. I’ve tried them over the years as impoovements have been made. Let me just say, the Chocolate Cherry Diet Dr Pepper is the first one I’ve ever liked.

Delores

13. Alice Gordon March 6, 2008 11:03 pm

I love the stuff and so does my son and we are desperate for them to put it out again.
    I think you either love it or hate it.

14. samantha March 9, 2008 1:24 am

i love it you need too keep saling it and keep it 4 life and make it not limied edition ok please

15. magie March 9, 2008 1:27 am

me and my kids and my husband we love it keep forever ok

16. windy ivey March 18, 2008 6:33 pm

I love this drink. It is soooo good. Best diet- wait , who am I kidding, best soda ever! Again this is the diet cherry chocolate and it is da bomb.

Windy

17. jrsposter March 20, 2008 8:29 pm

This is the most wonderful soda I have ever tasted. I plan to make the rounds and buy up as much as I can before they discontinue it. It’s a dessert and a half with zero calories. You can’t beat that with a stick!

18. Karen B March 27, 2008 1:00 pm

I thought the Chery Chocolate Flavor was DISGUSTING. I tried it twice and both times was left with a bitter, powdery taste on my lips. No one in teh house likes it so I threw it away. Bring back Berries and Cream!

19. Mary S April 8, 2008 6:17 pm

Do you like chocolate covered cherries? If so you will like this soda. Besides regular ole Diet Dr. Pepper, the Cherry Chocolate RockS!!!!! How long do you think it will last if I horde a pile of it?

20. brooke April 10, 2008 1:25 pm

im drinking one right now..its so good honestly why do people hate it, its my favorite pop rite now, also i think it taste more like a tootsie pop..mmhmm! its amazing all the people that hate it, wow..i dont even kno what to think..! yay!!

21. Peg April 15, 2008 11:59 pm

I absolutely LOVE this flavor of Dr.Pepper. Normally, I’m not a fan, but chocolate covered cherries are a fave of mine. Give me more of this drink paleeeeze!!!

22. lorraine April 26, 2008 4:12 pm

Where do you buy this soda in Pa? I cannot find it.
    Thanks.

23. paul.howlett June 7, 2008 4:44 pm

I bought a 12 pack thinking why not experiment……Well Chocolate is not ment to be a carbonated beverage!
    bad idea…. My children love candy soda etc…. I can’t give the stuff away. I tried one and a half cans before giving up. any ideas on getting my money back?
    wow not good. I am ok with a vanilla flavoring of drinks but chocolate is too far!

24. Chocolate Cherry July 5, 2008 9:32 am

Loved it. Miss it.

25. Adam July 26, 2008 2:30 pm

Diet laundry water — that’s how it tasted to me. If you’ve ever smelt laundry that hasn’t been washed in a month or two, then mix that with the horrid diety flavour all diet drinks have, you get this drink.

26. Sandra Ferraiuolo August 5, 2008 6:42 pm

I would like to know where I can purchase the Diet Dr. Pepper Cherry Chocolate Soda. It tasted like biting into a candy. I live in Morris County, New Jersey, Please let me know.

27. Michele August 20, 2008 6:20 pm

i agree with you about the berries and cream variety…totally disgusting. i wish they had made that flavor the limited edition flavor, because i disagree with you about the cherry chocolate flavor…IT’S THE BEST!!! i loved cherry chocolate and i am very upset that it has already been discontinued (sorry to have to tell you, sandra ferraiuolo, you cannot purchase this flavor any longer unless they decide to bring it back again). i was having everyone i know buy multiple cases of it when they saw it because i was having a difficult time finding it in bergen county, nj, where i live. i still have one last can left that i have been saving…lol…

28. dt in chi town October 24, 2008 2:43 pm

Diet Chocolate Cherry Dr. Pepper is the greatest diet carbonated beverage ever made. I can only hope they bring it back permanantly. If not, I will forever remember last holiday season as one of my best, all because of this drink. Dr. Pepper people: you will have created a holiday tradition, and one of the most loved flavors of soda in history if you bring it back.

29. Laura November 23, 2008 8:55 pm

Diet Chocolate Cherry Dr. Pepper is awesome! I absolutely love it. The only problem is that it is so hard to find.

30. Nancy Beck November 27, 2008 7:09 pm

WONDERFUL DRINK…..HAD MY HUSBAND BUY IT UP AT EVERY GROCERY HE FOUND IT.

WHEN WILL YOU REPRODUCE IT? US CHOCOLATE PEOPLE NEED THIS DRINK. PLEASE PRODUCE IT FOR XMAS 2008