Captain American Government is Dead!

Posted on March 7, 2007 @ 11:45 am

Captain American Government is Dead!

I guess you’ve already heard the news about Captain America. If not, and you’re the kind of person who’s concerned about spoilers, I recommend ignoring that huge honkin’ image up there. With a Captain America movie scheduled for 2009, though, I imagine Steve Rogers will be back to throwing his mighty shield in a matter of months. In the meantime, feel free to peruse Apropos of Something’s Captain America Memorial Comics Archive.

Posted by Jess | Filed Under Apropos Comics |

1. Joefish March 7, 2007 3:43 pm

Doomsday

2. Jess March 7, 2007 5:54 pm

At least Doomsday had the decency to beat Superman to death. A sniper shot is like cheating!

3. Chris March 7, 2007 5:59 pm

Captain America died for me with the gawdawful movie from the ’90s. Red Skull’s face looked like a Madball and he had some cheesy Italian accent. Truly dismal.

4. Jess March 7, 2007 7:00 pm

Chris: Is that the one where Cap had fake ears glued to the side of his mask? I haven’t seen the film, but I’ve seen a few still shots through the years.

5. Caz March 7, 2007 7:24 pm

Some sniper git killed Cap? Hasn’t Captain America fought guys way tougher than that and survived?

Unless there’s some, you know, super sniper out there, this is all for crap.

6. Chris March 7, 2007 9:04 pm

Jess - I don’t remember, as I had an operation to remove the part of my brain that would hold that information. But if you are up to it, the film is listed on imdb. (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103923/)

If you are really feeling bold, help yourself to some Cap Wallpaper!!!#!@#! http://captain-america.us/captainamericamovie/moviewallpaper.jpg

7. Joefish March 8, 2007 12:44 am

I’ve been waiting 15 years for a chance to drop that word. You ever read Spawn? I read the first fifty or so issues. The only one worth remembering was #10, story by Dave Sim. It’s mostly silly and preachy, but there’s one scene that’s always stuck with me. Spawn is trying to rescue superheroes from the hell of being owned by a soul-sucking corporation. He’s given all the power in the universe and he can’t save a single one of them. Faced with this defeat, Superman utters one single word: Doomsday.

8. Chris March 8, 2007 9:23 am

For my money, the best superhero downfall plotline is still Knightfall - even though Bats didn’t die.

9. Jess March 8, 2007 4:21 pm

Joefish: Yep, I collected Spawn back in the speculator-fueled comic boom of the 1990s. I don’t think I made it past twenty issues, but I definitely remember Dave Sim’s issue. Even if it was a bit preachy, I thought it was heads and shoulders above McFarlane’s usual efforts.

Chris: I think I’ll go with the Dark Phoenix Saga — lower profile character, but significantly less hype. ;)

10. Chris March 8, 2007 4:33 pm

I never got into any of the X-books, sorry to say. I was all about the Avengers, Thor, and Spider-Man.

11. Gregory March 8, 2007 7:11 pm

I doubt that Cap will be coming back. Times have changed. Death used to not mean much in the Marvel universe. Now, people at Marvel ask their writers to let their heroes deaths mean something, which often means staying dead in some cases. Cap was a relic anyway, in most people’s eyes, and will probably not return…unlike Bucky, despite the axiom often known as “The Bucky Clause”.

12. Ruko March 9, 2007 11:17 am

Well done. Nice tribute.

13. Chad March 9, 2007 1:37 pm

Marvel won’t let their heroes stand for anything anymore, why would they let their death’s mean anything?
    Quesada’s Mantra: Read the Book.
    Ofcourse he’s lying. What he means is “Buy the book” he couldn’t care less if you read it. He obviously doesn’t

14. Cal Skinner July 3, 2007 12:47 pm

A tattoo of Captain America will be McHenry County Blog’s “Message of the Day” on the 4th of July.

I won’t reveal the name of the father of a friend now playing with my almost 10-year old on whose calf I found Captain America this morning just in case Marvel wants royalties.