100 Facts in 100 Days: Fact 93

Posted on February 8, 2007 @ 11:22 am

93. I’m really bad at what most people consider typical “guy things.” You know — working with tools, doing anything vaguely mechanical, understanding electronics, and so forth. For instance, while I can drive a nail on a good day, I’m more or less helpless beyond that. Another example: I have no idea how my cable box, VCR, and DVD player all connect to my television. The cable guy set up the whole mess of wires three years ago, and I’ve been afraid to touch it ever since. God forbid I ever need to add another peripheral.

I’m especially clueless when it comes to cars, though. When I take my Honda in for a routine oil change, the mechanic invariably comes back fifteen minutes later saying, “Looks like your rear radial accelerator axle belt is misaligned. That’s gonna run you about $1,500 to fix. Should we go ahead and get started?” I’m starting to suspect they can smell my “guy” ignorance a mile away.

Posted by Jess | Filed Under 100 Facts |

1. Woman with Kids February 8, 2007 11:57 am

Try being female at a mechanics. I got upset at my mechanic once, for trying to con me into thinking I needed a new “serpentine belt.” How dare he try to con me!

Uh, oops. Seems it’s real. And I needed a new one. My bad.

2. Katie February 8, 2007 12:17 pm

I’ve heard of the serpentine belt! Mine was fraying. They actually showed it to me though because I must have looked skeptical.

I’m surprisingly good at “guy” things, except for cars. All I can manage is checking my oil, transmission fluid, and coolant.

3. Nukapai February 8, 2007 1:49 pm

Hi there! Glad to have you as my tenant! I’ll spend some time taking a good look at your blog and will let you know when a write-up will be posted.

4. Nukapai February 8, 2007 1:53 pm

Oh, and something else: Your floral pictures are well shot and vibrant. A delight! (I was going to comment in one of the photo entries itself about that, but the comments were closed for the item).

5. PJ February 8, 2007 3:05 pm

Great blog — funny funny funny!

6. Jess February 8, 2007 3:32 pm

Nukapai: Thanks for having me! And thanks for the compliments on the photos. :) I really need to get out and take more; it’s been ages since I’ve set aside a few hours with my camera.

PJ: Thanks — I’m glad you enjoyed it! :)

7. Anita February 9, 2007 1:15 am

Haha! The other day I took my car in and they did the same thing. “You need all your shocks and struts changed, and new fluids. It’ll cost you $800″. Yeah right … I just saw a minivan on sale for $299 … maybe I can just buy one of them every 6 months instead? ;)

8. John February 10, 2007 2:57 pm

And here I thought I was one of only guys that sucked at this type of stuff. Give me something geeky and I can handle it, but tell me to saw a piece of wood in half and I’m as likely end up with a finger missing as the wood cut in half.