100 Facts in 100 Days: Fact 92

Posted on February 2, 2007 @ 7:32 pm

92. The most ridiculous job I’ve ever had was back in college when I worked as a Tommy Hilfiger “fragrance model” for a few weeks. Basically, I was that person who wanders around the department store spraying cologne on little cards and attempting to pawn them off on unwitting shoppers. Or, to put it another way, I was a scented magazine insert come to life, just dying to tell you all about the complimentary tote bag available for a limited time only if you’d just buy a bottle of Tommy cologne today.

Most shoppers recoiled in fear and disgust when I offered them a card doused with Tommy cologne, shouting “No, thank you!” over their shoulders as they ran away to hide in the shoe department. In other words, they reacted just slightly more positively than if they had been offered a vial containing a live strain of the bubonic plague. Others started yelling about their allergies when they saw me approach, and I can’t really blame them. By the end of my shift, I inevitably ended up with watery eyes and a skull-crushing sinus headache thanks to the noxious wares I peddled.

To add insult to injury, I also had to sell the “Tommy look.” This meant dressing head to toe in Tommy Hilfiger couture, which at the time consisted primarily of button-up shirts emblazoned with unspeakably gaudy red, blue, and yellow flags and chinos featuring an almost implausible number of pleats. Such a fetching look, don’t you think?

Needless to say, it wasn’t the most fulfilling job I’ve ever worked, but as a poor college sophomore, I certainly couldn’t complain about making $15 an hour. Plus, I can’t overemphasize the added bonus of being able to spend the rest of my life telling stories that start out, “Back when I was a fragrance model…”

Posted by Jess | Filed Under 100 Facts |

1. Diesel February 2, 2007 11:57 pm

The only fragrance I model is mine, baby. Free samples, everybody! Suck it in!

2. Mon February 3, 2007 4:09 am

i’d imagine that would give you a complex, people avoiding, and running away from you.

3. Becca February 5, 2007 7:39 pm

Oh I am so sorry, that’s a pretty miserable job at least it paid well…and I imagine it was fun to spritz someone that really pissed you off one too many times.

4. Blonde Chick Bloggin February 7, 2007 2:18 pm

I love your blog. Just stopped over here from “Whatever Blows My Skirt” and I might just have to blogroll ya’, baby!

Thanks for the laughs!

5. Nukapai February 8, 2007 5:41 pm

Heeeeheeeheeeeh… oh, the FUN you must have had!

P.S. I’ve done that job too…

6. BK December 27, 2007 3:05 pm

You can write? Sheesh! Where’d I go wrong. Once I got into the computer revolution I seem to need to type everything. I can’t read my own writing anymore … well, besides that, I don’t even own a pen.