100 Facts in 100 Days: Fact 91

Posted on February 1, 2007 @ 8:34 am

91. Thanks to a lack of practice over the past decade, I’ve basically forgotten how to write in cursive. Beyond my signature (which is more a series of squiggles than actual handwriting), I find myself hard-pressed to pen even a single sentence in cursive script without the end result looking like the handiwork of a second-grader hopped up on Pixie Stix. Don’t even ask me how to make an uppercase “Q”; apparently, it’s now locked deep in the recesses of my mind alongside the French I can no longer speak and the calculus I can no longer comprehend.

This is just further support for my zero-sum theory of learning: for every new bit of knowledge or skill acquired, another is lost. Thank goodness it was only cursive writing this time around and not something important like tying my shoes.

Posted by Jess | Filed Under 100 Facts |

1. Phollower February 1, 2007 9:09 am

I believe that’s how velcro was invented. Some scientist shoved shoe-tying out of his brain with, I dunno, learning pi to 400 places or something. And being one of those “outside the box” type thinkers he chose to build a better shoelace rather than learning to tie them again. He was also afraid that relearning the tying thing might shove the password to his World of Warcraft account out of his head. This fear is also what caused him to quit his job in case he would learn anything else. Ever.

Or maybe the army did it. But I like my reason better.

2. Ruko February 1, 2007 9:13 am

You know, I actually go by Ruko because my signature only has 7 letters and says Mil Ruko, instead of having the 16 letters it should with a long Polish last name.

3. Robin February 1, 2007 10:25 am

I think it would be easier to get the French back than the cursive handwriting. I don’t think they even teach it anymore, do they?

4. Dawn (webmiztris) February 1, 2007 12:14 pm

lmao! now you have me realizing I don’t know how to make a proper cursive capital Q either!

5. Warmind February 1, 2007 1:34 pm

When does one really need to read or write cursive? Letters from my grandmother are the only time I have to go through decoding pre-WWII ideas of handwriting.
    In regards to shortening ones name due to long signatures I’ve perfected the art of turning three names into three capital letters, three straight lines and three squiggles. Appearantly it’s come to mean ‘maaah, maaah, mahhh’ in arabic.

6. Aptiva Dave February 1, 2007 1:55 pm

Marge: I think you should do it, Homer, you might learn something new!
    Homer: Oh, Marge, whenever I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out. Remember that time I went to those duff brewery classes and I forgot how to drive?

7. Diesel February 1, 2007 5:36 pm

D’oh! Aptiva Dave beat me to that one.

I don’t know why I ever bothered to learn to write cursive. I probably write fewer than 20 words a week by hand. Now my son is getting C’s in handwriting and I’m like, “Who friggin’ cares?” They’ll be doing everything by telepathy by the time he gets to college.