100 Facts in 100 Days: Fact 89

Posted on January 24, 2007 @ 1:34 pm

89. When I read a magazine, I literally read the entire magazine. Cover to cover, word for word. Every article, every column, every caption, every little sidebar. In order — no skipping around. It’s like a compulsion.

As you can imagine, this makes choosing the right magazine crucial. Do I really want to subscribe to Time if it means I’ll have to read their latest “Search for the Historical Jesus” cover story every three months?*

These days, I gravitate toward Entertainment Weekly and Wired (I started reading the former to seem hip and the latter to seem intelligent). I’ll also confess a shameful love of Blender’s substandard, Q-inspired coverage of the music industry. I also read my wife’s Real Simple from time to time, but let’s keep that on the down-low.

*Seriously, do Time and Newsweek just have a stacks of these historical Jesus features lying around their offices, ready to publish in case of a slow news cycle?

Posted by Jess | Filed Under 100 Facts |

1. Pea January 24, 2007 1:49 pm

I get a ton of magazines off and on but I hardly ever pay for them (get them free with airline miles). The only magazine I deign to actually pay for is EW. Can’t wait for it to come in the mail every week and the first thing I look for is Stephen King’s column. Once that’s read, I start from the beginning and I try to read everything, to feel like I’m getting my money’s worth but there are certain articles that I just don’t much care about so I skip. But I don’t do that happily. Just FYI. :)

2. david January 24, 2007 9:27 pm

Oh dear Jess…someone has lied to you about Entertainment Weekly. Reading it will NOT make you appear to be more hip — it will instead kill brain cells. Quickly.

You deserve better, friend.

3. Nick January 25, 2007 12:32 am

I get Time, but I don’t really “read” it. I flip through it until I find an interesting picture or article, and then I read that.

4. mon January 25, 2007 5:01 pm

that does sound like a stressful magazine selection process! I like entertainment weekly cover to cover, other than that i skip around

5. Rose September 6, 2008 4:38 pm

Omg! I do the same thing! and Im subscribed to Wired, Discover, Popular Mechanics,IEEE, SHPE, and Game Informer. So you can imagine how much of a pile of “to read” magazines I have.