100 Facts in 100 Days: Fact 85

Posted on December 11, 2006 @ 9:08 pm

85. Both my wife and I can be overly competitive at times. Unfortunately, I combine my over-competitiveness with a penchant for trash talk. As a result, we’re very careful about placing ourselves in competitive situations.

Monopoly was the first casualty of my over-competitiveness. Apparently, I’m “too greedy and evil” when I play the board game, and I “ruin it for everyone else.” I thought that was the entire point of Monopoly.

More recently, mini-golf was also ticked off the list. Kourtney and I were playing a round about a year ago, and we were neck and neck going into the final hole. Unfortunately, her shot hit an embankment, rolled off the astroturf putting green, and fell into the artificially-blue creek running alongside the hole. Of course, I did what came naturally and declared with mock sincerity, “Aww…glub, glub.” You know, ’cause that’s the sound a golf ball would make if it were drowning.

I thought she was going to wrap her putter around my head. Needless to say, we don’t play much mini-golf anymore.

Posted by Jess | Filed Under 100 Facts |

1. Pea December 12, 2006 12:18 am

One of the things I most like about myself is that I’m both a gracious winner and loser. However, while the game is happening, I’ll talk shit like nobody’s business. I have to admit though that every once in a while and “In your face sucker!” will slip out but that’s only when the other person’s behavior merits it. I mean, it’s all in fun, right? But some people don’t know that and take things a little too seriously, that’s when I pour it on a little too thick. Ah well. Opportunity for growth and all that bs.

I ♥ Monopoly but no one will play with me anymore because I insist on playing by the rules. So sue me.

2. Jess December 12, 2006 10:42 am

Pea: Oh, yeah…I’m a stickler for the Monopoly rules, too. I think that’s part of the problem. I don’t go for any of this “Oh…you don’t have $1100? Okay, I’ll just take $400″ crap. That’s called bankruptcy. It’s the object of the game to drive someone into it.

3. Fuzzball December 12, 2006 11:21 am

Oh good grief, MORE proof that you and I are twins separated at birth. None of my friends want to play board games with me because I become a psychotic bitch. So they SAY…

What? You want some of this? I’ll shove Baltic Avenue up your ass!

4. Pea December 12, 2006 12:07 pm

Oh yeah. That kills me. When someone keeps trying to borrow money to stay in the game and people feel sorry for the person so they keep sneaking him/her bills or stealing from the bank. I’m all like, Uhm, how am I ever gonna win if you people keep cheating in order to stay in the freaking game?!? Stop it! Stop It! STOP IT!

So yeah, nobody plays with me anymore so my deluxe edition Monopoly game just sits there, all lonely and sad. :sigh:

5. Amy December 14, 2006 12:19 am

Yeah, my husband and I don’t play competitive video games ever since we were dating and he started with the trash talking and gloating while playing “Punch Out”.

I’m not innocent either. Sometimes my competitive nature will just take over and when that happens, it’s just not pretty.

6. Angela December 14, 2006 6:28 pm

Oh my gosh. That’s laugh out loud funny. Glub. Glub.

It’s also exactly why my hub and I don’t play games (or compete with one another in any way) and apparently why I lost a boyfriend I liked several years ago. “Duh, Angela,” his friend told me. “You can’t win EVERY game of cards.” Like you, I thought that was the point! Great post.