Big money, big money…STOP! On a Whammy.

Posted on December 6, 2006 @ 1:16 pm

Janet asks, “What are you favorite TV game shows of all time and why?”

Oh, that’s too easy. For me, it’s the 1980s classic, Press Your Luck.

Press Your Luck

When I was a kid, I was absolutely mesmerized by Press Your Luck. I loved the ridiculously easy trivia portion of the game, but the real fun came when the contestants went to the Big Board. Ah, such sensory overload! Flashing lights, dollar amounts, trips to the Caribbean, free spins, contestants yelling “Big money, big money!” — what more could an eight-year-old want?

Of course, the best part was when players landed on a “Whammy” and lost all their money. I know it sounds corny now, but back in 1985, a tiny animated gremlin dressed like Cyndi Lauper and singing about taking the contestant’s money was pretty funny stuff.

As far as modern game shows go, I have to admit that I’m oddly fascinated by NBC’s Deal or No Deal, but the less said about that, the better.

Posted by Jess | Filed Under Pop Culture |

1. jmanna December 6, 2006 1:41 pm

Penn Jillette (of Penn & Teller) will be hosting a new gameshow called ‘Identity’ that looks interesting. It’s basically a rework of the ‘What’s My Line’ with even less clues for the contestants. The contestants have to guess that people do by their appreance alone.

Link: http://www.tv.com/story/7244.html

2. Jack Brewster December 6, 2006 1:57 pm

Did you hear about the guy who hacked Press Your Luck?

“By taping the show religiously and pausing the tapes, Larson discovered that there were just six light patterns on the board. With this bit of knowledge, he practiced at home while watching the show and realized that he could stop the board wherever and whenever he wanted, if he just had patience.”

3. Meredith December 6, 2006 7:00 pm

you
    deal or no deal?

my opinion of you has plummeted irreparably.

4. Jess December 6, 2006 7:21 pm

Meredith: In my defense, I watch Deal or No Deal during the commerical breaks of shows I actually lke — and only to root against the contestants.

I find it fascinating that these rubes actually believe they have a strategy for “beating” what’s essentially a 1:26 random draw. Plus, I like it when they get greedy and pass up a $250,000 offer and wind up with $400. ;)

5. Pea December 6, 2006 7:41 pm

classic concentration was my thing. i used to be very good at it too.

6. Diesel December 6, 2006 8:58 pm

Concentration was cool. I also liked the Match Game with that guy from Running Man.

7. jp December 7, 2006 12:33 pm

Big money! No whammies! Big money! No whammies! Big money-STOP!!!

Stop at a whammy.

I loved that game.

8. Mon December 8, 2006 7:12 pm

This was an awesome show too! I picked the feud though!

9. Janet December 9, 2006 1:49 pm

How can you not love the whammies? Seriously. :)

10. Celise December 10, 2006 11:48 pm

The Price is Right. Because Y&R came on next. I heard recently that Bob Barker was finally retiring. It’s not going to be same. I’m wondering if it’s going to go off the air, if they’re going to replace him with someone else…and if they’re going to get a microphone that doesn’t look like a stick.

11. Jess December 11, 2006 9:41 am

Celise: If the microphone doesn’t look like a stick, it’s not The Price Is Right. ;)

12. kristiface December 11, 2006 11:42 am

I LOVED that show, for all the same reasons. Why wouldn’t those crazy people want a Wammie? Doesn’t everyone love a gremlin in a clown car?

13. Brad March 14, 2008 3:13 pm

I LOVED that show too I really don’t like the whammies but i’d like too be one because they take everyones Jackpot

14. Brad March 15, 2008 7:05 am