A Very Apropos Christmas Playlist

Posted on November 28, 2006 @ 9:53 am

As I’ve mentioned before, I’m a nut when it comes to Christmas music, and with Thanksgiving now out of the way, it’s time for my meticulously assembled Holiday Mix ‘06. Here’s what we have spinning this season.

Ho, ho, ho!
  16. “Christmas Song,” Weezer
  17. “Mele Kalikimaka,” Bing Crosby
  18. “Holly Jolly Christmas,” Burl Ives
  19. “Baby It’s Cold Outside,” Dean Martin
  20. “White Christmas,” Bing Crosby
  21. “Winter Wonderland,” Johnny Mathis
  22. “Last Christmas,” Wham!
  23. “Peace on Earth/Little Drummer Boy,” Bing Crosby & David Bowie
  34. “Here Comes Santa Claus,” Gene Autry
  35. “Let It Snow,” Dean Martin
  36. “The Chipmunk Song,” Alvin and the Chipmunks
  37. “I’ll Be Home for Christmas,” Bing Crosby
  38. “Frosty the Snowman,” Gene Autry
  39. “We Wish You a Merry Christmas,” Bing Crosby

Ah…Christmas music. Did I leave any favorites off the list? Oh, and if you’re particularly daring, you can listen to my karaoke version of “You’re a Mean One, Mr. Grinch.” For what it’s worth, it’s not quite the sonic assault of my last karaoke offering.

Posted by Jess | Filed Under Pop Culture |

1. Jeysie November 28, 2006 10:59 am

No Trans-Siberian Orchestra? “Christmas Eve/Sarajevo 12/24″ in particular is not only cool on its own, but “Carol of the Bells” is one of my favorite Christmas songs already.

Admittedly, techno/metal music *would* sound a wee odd in a playlist of mostly traditionals…

2. Pea November 28, 2006 11:21 am

awesome. now that i no longer work in retail i can get back to loving christmas music again. that’s hard to do when you have to listen to it day in and day out for days on end. and you got my three faves on the list so no complaints from me (last christmas, baby, it’s cold outside and little drummer boy). nice.

3. Katie November 28, 2006 11:46 am

I absolutely LOATHE christmas music o_O

4. Ruko November 28, 2006 12:17 pm

Excellent that you had a bunch of Bing Crosby on there. As far as Christmas music goes, you can’t beat Bing, even though that one he did with David Bowie was… interesting. I would add Vanessa William’s “What Child Is This” to the list.

5. jmanna November 28, 2006 12:30 pm

I am saddened that there is no mention of John Denver and the Muppets in that collection.
    And that family classic ‘I’ve Got A Boner For Christmas’ by NerfHerders.

6. Veronica November 28, 2006 2:34 pm

I’m big on the South Park version of The Carol of the Bells.

Ding dong, mmmmkay.

7. courtney November 28, 2006 2:47 pm

No Manheim Steamroller?

Good choice on your Carpenters selections! Karen had the most gorgeous voice…

One of my favorites is called “Warm and Fuzzy.” Billy Gilman sang it when he was still about 12 years old and sounded like a little girl, but the big band swing style of the song is flawless and the lyrics are pricelessly adorable. Oh, and he made a music video, dressed up in a little suit, and danced around with an old 40’s style mic. He was so cute I just wanted to gobble him up! :)

8. Jess November 28, 2006 4:43 pm

Hmm…I probably need something by Manheim Steamroller, don’t I?

9. Advice At Your Own Risk November 28, 2006 9:24 pm

A great list! I think that I hijacked the one that you did last year and made sure that I had them all. :-)

10. Daniel Louden November 28, 2006 11:23 pm

Two artists who got the snub: Aimee Mann and Sufjan Stevens. Aimee just released a xmas cd and Sufjan has put out a christmas ep for the past 5 years. For shame

11. mon November 29, 2006 12:53 pm

For me, it’s just not Christmas without John Denver and the MUPPETS! I love the muppets Christmas, it brings back all sorts of memories.

12. mixednut November 30, 2006 1:31 am

Came over from the Slack.
    Just a couple of my faves I didn’t see on the list:

I Believe In Father Christmas - Greg Lake
    Happy Christmas - John & Yoko
    Sleighride - The Ronettes

Santa And His Ol’ Lady - Cheech & Chong

13. Veronica November 30, 2006 2:59 pm

YES! Santa and his Old Lady. I love that one.

14. Geoff December 3, 2006 11:23 pm

You seem to have made an error in including a religiously relevant song on your playlist in the form of “God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen.” You almost had a clean sweep going there.

Having said that, where’s “Santa’s Beard” by They Might Be Giants? ;)

15. Vikki December 18, 2006 10:30 am

WOW! Excellent list, you’rs matches my ipod playlist almost exactly. Except… I like Rosemary Clooney’s Jingle Bells. Oh and my all time favorite… Ave Maria by Andrea Bocelli. Also Love God rest ye merry gentlemen but I can’t decide if I like Robert Goulet’s or Lorenna McKennet’s better. And finally Snoopy’s Christmas by the Royal Guardsmen.

16. Bob Longman December 24, 2006 11:57 am

Nothing But A Child — Steve Earle (It’s from an album named after a poisonous snake, with a skull-and-crossbones with eyes popping on the front, and a biker lighting up on the back. But at the end is this…)

And On that Day — Phil Keaggy
    Green Chri$tmaS — Stan Freberg

17. B October 15, 2007 6:09 am

I’d be interested to know if anyone have any ideas for seasonal classical music such as The Nutcracker suite etc or instrumentals? When you’re shopping it would be good to have variety.

Thanks

18. Samantha Carter December 24, 2007 9:05 am

hello this is great because I managed to find all the songs i needed of limewire thank you
    I love you baby